Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #1  

Tom K---Semper Fi

Tractor
Kubota B5200
I've been shopping for a used Kubota tractor with a hydro tranny, FEL & BH for the past few weeks. (I currently own a B5200 and I've been seriously impressed with what this little 13HP tractor can do, but I now need a hydro tranny, and the ability to mount a backhoe, which the 13 HP B5200 won't handle). However, I just found a Cub Cadet 7532 at an unbelievable price. I was wondering if anybody had any opinions about the quality and reliability of Cub Cadet. I know they HAD a great rep., but I've also heard that MTD has been making engineering changes on their smaller units to reduce production costs. Their compact tractors are basically made by Yanmar, but MTD's name is on top, so their influence is undoubtedly strong enough to affect quality. I'd like to have a few opinions before I bother finding out if this "too good to be true" price is just another craigslist scam. Before you all go questioning my sanity for thinking of defecting from Kubota, if I had my druthers I'd buy their latest and greatest. I've been having a tough time finding something with the requirements I have, and within my budget. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited funds :( so if I can find a "decent" tractor at a price that's kinder to my budget I'll have to go for it. This is strictly for homeowner use and won't be beat upon, so I can afford to step down a bit from the king of compact tractors.

If anybody out there owns a Cub Cadet compact tractor, I'd appreciate your opinion (especially if you have any horror stories to tell).

Thanks,

Tom

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #2  
The price can tell you all you need to know. IMO
Resale value can be read like an open book.
The market is what it is, for good reasons.

Need you know more? Unless the "unbelievable price" you mentioned is a high price, indicating quality.

Don't mean to be harsh, but it probably seems harsh.

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #3  
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Cub Cadet but I remembered reading this post recently so I thought you might find it interesting. It is from Art, a well respected Kubota dealer on this forum. He also sells Cub Cadet. I suspect he would not sell them if he did not believe in them.

Here is his quote from the thread:

Being here first I guess I'll give my two cents! I do find that you are pricing two different size tractors and as stated the 2360 is the correct match for the 2400.

As far as people not knowing about the Cadet Yanmar team I feel it is a good match. The Yanmar company built john deere tractors for years and put them on the map as far as dependability. Can't say that so much today as jd is building more of their own and the users are not as happy with the newer chassis as they were with the older models.

The Cadet Yanmar tractors so far seem to be as reliable as the kubota's as when they go out, they don't seem to come back so I'd say the initial build quality is there. I'd also say that if they are like the old ones, for the numbers out there they have held up well.

For the time that Kubota has been in this country and you can go back to the early 70's they have had a reputation that nobody has been able to keep up with as far as being inovative and well built. There are plenty of dealers in most all areas of the country so resale will remain strong no matter where you go.

I have no reason to back down on the Cadet/Yanmar compacts for quality for what they have shown us so far!

Now another thought from TheRegMan:

You could probably find almost an identical tractor painted green with yellow wheels at your local JD dealer.

Semper Fi to you Tom K!! ooooh-raah!!

Last edited:
   / Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #4  
Go take a look at the tractor. Yanmar knows how to build a tractor but whether MTD will let them build it right is a nother question.Do a search in the cub forum for 7532 and see what you can find. about 5 yrs ago I was looking at the cub compacts but they seemed to be built a little on the cheap side. That was before Yanmar started building them.
Bill

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #5  
I don't think the 7532 is a Yanmar. Only the latest models are. Its either a Daedong, Mitsubishi or Mahindra. Personaly, I'd avoid all but the Mitsubishi's. Parts support for all of these can be a bit iffy. These 3rd party deals are never good for long term support.

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #6  
I've read the Kioti forum quite a bit and haven't seen anyone complaining about having any difficulty getting parts for their tractors (Daedong)

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please
Hooked,

I couldn't find anything on the 7532 in the Cub forum which is why I posted in the general forum. I couldn't find anything on that specific tractor, but I did find that several owners were having problems with a glow plug/fuel solenoid. I also found someone on a forum on a different site who said that buying a Cub was the worst decision he'd ever made, and that his tractor had been in the shop multiple times for front end and tranny problems. He may be one in a thousand, but that's good enough for me. I'm staying away from Cub Cadet.

Semper Fi

Tom

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #8  
Tom, Were those examples of Yanmar cubs or Cub models prior to Yanmar making them?

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please #9  
Only thing I could get from a search it looked like the 5000 to 7000 series were made by Cub cadet
7500 series were Mitsubishi
8000 series (8354, 8404, 8454) were made by Kioti/Daedong
Newest/current models are Cub Cadet/Yanmar

/ Opinions RE: Cub Cadet Please
RegMan,

I don't know when MTD made the transition to Yanmar, but the posts I read ran from 2005-2008. The post about the tractor being the worst investment ever made was from 2006. The posts I read were on TractorPoint.com if you're interested in reading them yourself. I just e-maild the guy selling the 7532 to see if he can give the mfg. date. Does anyone know when MTD started using Yanmar to build their compact tractors?

Thanks,

Tom