Static electricity - don't get a charge out if it!!

/ Static electricity - don't get a charge out if it!! #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
The last week 10-12 days it's been very cold and dry here in SC and the static electricity has been eating me up!!! I'm tired of getting shocked everytime I walk across the carpet and touch the light switch, or I take off a sweatshirt and go touch something I get zapped!! I started spraying StaticGuard on all my socks and sweaters but I still seem to have "static discharge" events lol! I can take two blankets off the bed now and separate them and man, you can just feel the energy building up and making the hair on your arms and legs stand up.

This time of year you hear the safety spots on the radio and tv about pumping gas. Once you get out and start pumping the gas, DO NOT GET BACK in your car, and then get back out to put the nozzle up!! Sliding across the seat will build up a charge, and when you get back out to grab the hose nozzle and place it back in the pump.....ZAPPP!!! Couple years ago I read about a guy in Spartanburg, SC that had a brand new (2 day owned) Toyota Sequoia and he stopped to fill it up. He somehow managed to generate a static discharge near the open gas tank and the gas fumes ignited. His daughter was in the passenger seat, but he got her out and then called the fire dept. I think the SUV was still badly damaged by the time they got there and got it put out.

I can go to the grocery store and roll the buggy around, then reach to open a door on one of the freezers to get something out and POW!! It gets me good! Now I take a key or a coin out of my pocket, hold it in my hand, and then touch something metal to discharge the static buildup. This way it spreads the charge over a larger part of my hand so it's not as bad then.

I realize this issue doesn't present as much of an danger for those with diesel tractors, but still we all have gas engines on smaller garden tractors, snowblowers, snowmbiles, atv's, etc, etc... So, just a reminder to use caution when filling up ANY gas tank with gas in this cold, dry weather. Remind your family and friends about it too.

/ Static electricity - don't get a charge out if it!! #2  
I've got a pair of static straps hanging from my factory frame mounted receiver hitch to the ground and I still get zapped all the time when getting out of my truck this time of year.