How long between starts?

/ How long between starts? #1  

Rickstir

Silver Member
Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River, Missouri
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 4110
I have a new (17 hr) Mahindra 4110 sitting in the barn. The fuel is treated. I started her and let her run for 30 minutes about 3 weeks ago. How often should I do this. I have no reason to bring it out of the barn. First time with a diesel tractor. Although it has been really cold (-15 one day) it will be 45 for the rest of the week.

/ How long between starts? #2  
I wouldn't do that at all. The acids and such that build up in the crankcase will do more harm than good from short idling runs with incomplete combustion. At least that is true for my car which I don't run at all during the winter. I just keep the battery charged up.

Last edited:
   / How long between starts? #3  
Hello
You are gonna get more opinions on this than you can shake a stick at.
Probably every 3 weeks or so would be a good idea but I don't think it's necessary at all.
That should keep it ready to go when you do need it.
Bill

/ How long between starts? #4  
Wouldn't start it at all, really. If there is no work to do, requiring a full warm and a solid work out, I'd leave it be.
Charge the battery once a month with a trickle, but that's it.

/ How long between starts? #5  
You should take it out for a spin once in a while. If you don't, your tractor will think you have forgotten about it, and will go into a severe depression, and then severe anger at you.

Do you really want to face an angry tractor this spring?

/ How long between starts? #6  
good question...I was wondering the same thing

/ How long between starts? #7  
I used to be on the once a month let it run camp. Now days I say store it and put a trickle charger on it every month to keep the batter up and you will be good to go. What changed me was my dads Corvette. It gets stored all winter and we would start it from time to time. This was tough on it. Now we have a battery tender and no issues.

Chris

/ How long between starts? #8  
I have a ZD21, (Kubota zero turn), in the fall it gets serviced and parked. In the spring I check the fluids, tires and start it up. No trickle charge, no winter starts.

I have an L3710 that will go 3 - 6 weeks between workouts depending on the weather. 2 years ago I swapped out the 9 year old battery, (still working fine), as insurance.

Don't start it up to let it warm up, start it when you need it. If you have a good battery, there's no need to keep a trickle charger on it.

/ How long between starts? #9  
I have a ZD21, (Kubota zero turn), in the fall it gets serviced and parked. In the spring I check the fluids, tires and start it up. No trickle charge, no winter starts.

I have an L3710 that will go 3 - 6 weeks between workouts depending on the weather. 2 years ago I swapped out the 9 year old battery, (still working fine), as insurance.

Don't start it up to let it warm up, start it when you need it. If you have a good battery, there's no need to keep a trickle charger on it.

While I agree with most of what you say many new cars will have a dead battery in 8-10 days if not started. Corvettes and Caddy's are a perfect example. Trickle chargers are a must.

Chris

/ How long between starts? #10  
Here is what stored right now in my barn. Short list, might forget something.:D

Chain saw, 2 weed eaters, JD riding mower, Mercury outboard, Leaf blower and a push mower.

I have no intention of starting any of them until there is a job for them to do next spring/summer. If I had a tractor in storage, it would be the same approach.

But, seriously, a tractor is sooooo, well.... it is a man thing. That, I MIGHT have to start once or twice a winter, warm it up good, drive out the lane, get the mail, drive over the neighbors, do SOMETHING!!!

Fortunately, up here, my tractor has to plow snow, at least every week. Even then, I confess, I often wish there were more winter tasks to do. :):)