Plowing with a Compact

/ Plowing with a Compact #1  

woodyed

I have the catalogs on the Kubota L series, Deere 10 Series, and New Holland's Boomer series, and I have noticed several things that somewhat puzzle me. I have noticed that not one of these catalogs depict or mention plowing with these compacts. Why is this, as I'm certain that from 30HP on up, that plowing can be done, even if it's only with a 2 bottom plow. Compacts in the 40 and 45HP range probably could even handle bigger plows depending on soil conditions. I think it would also be informative if these regarding tractor companies would publish their recommendations plow size to HP, for their compacts, in regular soils. Another thing I have noticed is that they refrain from depicting their compacts with a baler in tow. The only exception to this is that the Kubota catalog does depict a round baler (540) being towed with a L4310. I realize that this is being discussed at great length in another thread and I have been reading it with much interest. I don't understand the not mentioning or depicting the feat of plowing though as this is a common and usual purpose in purchasing a tractor, especially when quite a few of the compact buyers would be interested in plowing up a few acres for a garden or enlarging a lawn. I realize that a farmer who is plowing large acreages for crops would want one of the larger agricultural tractors. instead of a compact.

/ Plowing with a Compact
I forgot to mention that I would appreciate hearing from compact tractor owners on what size plow they use relative to the HP of their tractors. Thanks.

/ Plowing with a Compact #3  
<font color=blue>I don't understand the not mentioning or depicting the feat of plowing though as this is a common and usual purpose in purchasing a tractor, especially when quite a few of the compact buyers would be interested in plowing up a few acres for a garden or enlarging a lawn.</font color=blue>

Plows aren't so common and usual in compact tractors. Most people go straight to a tiller as they are reasonably affordable in compact tractor size. Thus the tractor companies show the tiller in the brochures.

The smaller compacts aren't big enough to pull a heavy disc after plowing to break up the soil requiring multiple passes with a lighter disc. Thus the tiller is the most efficient way to prepare a garden or new lawn.

That said, If a plow is your preference, there are plenty of sources for 1 and two bottom plows. Leinbach and Worksaver come to mind. Do a TBN search on Plow and you will see some posts (including some pictures) from those who do plow.

/ Plowing with a Compact #4  
Be careful on the plow. Some tractor companies explicitly state that you should not use one. I've seen two rear end castings break due to more lateral strain on the 3PH than they were engineered for.

As an example...the new JD 4X10 series is a little beefier than the 4000 where the 3PH attaches to the case. Still...until you get to the large frame models, Deere doesn't recommend a plow or disk...

/ Plowing with a Compact #5  
My Kubota owners manual list plows and disk and at least in the case of the disk seems to be pretty conservative. I purchased the max. size they list and really cant tell I'm pulling anything. Personally I cant imagine who would want to own a compact thats not strong enough to plow or disk(duh its a tractor)
As for as tillers they start at about a grand for the cheaper ones and are pretty much useless for anything bigger than a garden or lawn They do a nice job at breaking up surface soil and or great for new sod but dont go very deep in virgin soil. I would just make sure from your dealer that plowing within comon sense limits would not effect the warranty.

/ Plowing with a Compact
I also wouldn't want to purchase a compact tractor that I couldn't plow or disc with if I chose to. By the way, what model of Kubota do you run and what is the size of your plow? I plan in the near future to buy either a L3710 or L4310, and I'm sure I will want to do some plowing on my place, and I might add, that it is really virgin soil. It's good soil though with not too many rocks and what rocks are present are small in size. I't's old pasture land and never had the soil turned in 45 years that I know of. There also will be some discing and dragging involved. Thanks to everyone for their opinions and replies.

/ Plowing with a Compact #7  
How many acres are you planning on plowing? If you are planning on doing any amount why not step up to a utility tractor like a TN or 5020 series Deere or whatever Kubota has that is equivalant. The problem with Compact's is they are too light for their HP numbers. Their motors could probally pull the load if they had enough weight but they lack considerably. I pull a 12' International 120 disc with a 13' drag thru heavy soil with a TN 65. The tractor definitly grunts going up hill and if I could find a 10' disc around here I would get it but I know for a fact a TC45 which is close in HP numbers to the TN65 would die on a 10' disc here. I also pull a 3-16 plow which anything smaller and I would still be out plowing. I guess what I am trying to say is if your main interest is in plowing or discing get a tractor suited for it no matter what color you choose.

/ Plowing with a Compact #8  
Think of it in terms of how big is it compared to a for 8n ( 24-26hp? ) and was desigened for a two bottom plow...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>what model of Kubota do you run and what is the size of your plow? I plan in the near future to buy either a L3710 or L4310, and I'm sure I will want to do some plowing on my place, and I might add, that it is really

/ Plowing with a Compact #9  
You pull a 12 footer with that? Holy mackerell!!! My brother-in-law has an 8' opposed disk that a 95 HP JD 4020 doesn't like, so we use a 118 HP 4320!!! (of course, most of the land is quite hilly...)

/ Plowing with a Compact #10  
Not that I plow much with my Cub, but I have used my old Oliver trailer plow some. It works well, considering it is about 90 years old...
The only thing about a 1 bottom trailer plow is that it's not a rollover and you need some room at the end to turn around. I don't mind it much though because I like driving my tractor and I am not interested in feeding the whole state of Maine.