Chains Best Chains

/ Best Chains #31  
Chilly807:

Do you also run chains on the front wheels? I have double-ring chains on my L3400 with AG tires, and it goes great. I took my tractor to a place yesterday in 18" of snow that I have never gone to in the summer.

I would like chains on the front too, for steering. I'd basically like a set of chains for the front like the ones on the rear of my tractor, or like the ones you have on the rear of yours.

All of the 2 link v-bar type seem like they would get lost on the skinny 7x16 ag front tires.

I've only got them on the back. I'm not sure how much truth is in the theory that chains are hard on the front differential, but I do know they have VERY little slippage, even on ice. It would definitely add a lot of load to the front gears.

If I have trouble steering, a tap on the brakes usually gets things straightened out. I don't know how much help they would be steering, it depends how much weight is actually on the front end at the time.

You're right about the skinny front tires, there's a lot of space between the lugs for chains to disappear into. You need something with a row of chain around the circumference of the tire, like these have. I haven't noticed any tendency for the wheels to "hop" as the chains bite and release, so I'd say they have pretty much constant grip.

Chilly