Chains Best Chains

/ Best Chains #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
Right now I've got duo-grips and they keep falling between my lugs on my R-4 tires and it kills my traction:confused:

What's everybody's favorite chain type for a 2 wheel drive tractor used to remove snow? Where do you get them?

/ Best Chains #2  
Right now I've got duo-grips and they keep falling between my lugs on my R-4 tires and it kills my traction:confused:

What's everybody's favorite chain type for a 2 wheel drive tractor used to remove snow? Where do you get them?

I can't imagine any style that would be significantly better than duo-grips. What air pressure are you running, what model tractor and tire size?

/ Best Chains
I can't imagine any style that would be significantly better than duo-grips. What air pressure are you running, what model tractor and tire size?

It's an International 2544 with 14.9 X 24 tires, I'm not sure the tire pressure or what is required for pressure.

/ Best Chains #4  
If the chains are too tight, they may drop between a couple tire lugs. But just snug, they will drop out of the lugs on their way around, and be there for traction when they get back to the ground.

A test...if they are between the lugs, then you won't get any bounce from the chains. If you get bounce, then they are working just fine. I have R-4's, and have ladder chains. No problems at all. I remove them as I don't like the bounce bounce when they are between the road and the lugs.

/ Best Chains #5  
DIXIEDOG, You have R-1 type tires and will probably have to go too a more professional type chain. You can get these at your local Logging store/Shop/outlet. Without knowing what you are using them for, I can't really suggest anything. When One of my neighbors needed chains and had 14.9-24's against my Opinion, he went out and bought a set of those Duo-Grips and ended up having the same problem you have. I then took him our local logging shop and pointed out what he needed, he bought them I helped him put'em on and no more slippage. You Should keep them fairly tight with cross chains through the wheel (I run 2 cross chains). However if all you are doing is moving snow on a Paved drive, I would Not recommend these type of chains. You will need much less aggressive chains.

David

Last edited:
   / Best Chains #6  
DIXIEDOG, You have R-1 type tires and will probably have to go too a more professional type chain. .

The OP posted that he has R-4 tires. Why would you tell him that he has R-1's?????????
Dou-grip chains have links connecting the cross chains directly over the tread lugs. I'm having a hard time understanding how Duo Grips fall between the lugs. I have a pair of duo grips on nearly new 13.6x28 R-1's and I love them.

Please post a link to a "more professional type chain" than duo grip that would be suitable for driveway use.

/ Best Chains #7  
RickB, you are right the OP did state his Tires were R-4's, the tires that I am familiar with that are 14.9-24's are R-1's and they are made in two types regular R-1's and R-2's which are wider (some call flotation tires). Like I said to the OP (Without knowing what you are using them for, I can't really suggest anything) Then I shared my experience with a neighbor. Then I stated (However if all you are doing is moving snow on a Paved drive, I would Not recommend these type of chains. You will need much less aggressive chains.) " Anything Else":rolleyes:

David

/ Best Chains #8  
RickB, you are right the OP did state his Tires were R-4's, the tires that I am familiar with that are 14.9-24's are R-1's and they are made in two types regular R-1's and R-2's which are wider (some call flotation tires). Like I said to the OP (Without knowing what you are using them for, I can't really suggest anything) Then I shared my experience with a neighbor. Then I stated (However if all you are doing is moving snow on a Paved drive, I would Not recommend these type of chains. You will need much less aggressive chains.) " Anything Else":rolleyes:

David

R-1's are typical agricultural tread.
R-2's are rice and cane tread. Deep lugs, not wide or flotation.
R-3's are Turf or Diamond tread.
R-4's are Industrial tread.

/ Best Chains #9  
Dixidog.. Can you post a photo of your tractor and tires? I'm trying to picture how the chains get between the lugs.

Wedge

Attachments

• 36_all_trac_utility_R4.jpg
    36_all_trac_utility_R4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 89
  • rtr_r23_tire.jpg
    rtr_r23_tire.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 105
   / Best Chains #10  
Around my part of the woods, R-2's ARE deeper lugs AND wider and some refer too them as flotation type tires. Loggers use them when working in a wet area. So, do you have a smart answer for that. If so this will be my last post in this thread, Not interested in getting in smartA typing contest with someone who thinks they Know All.

David