Angles...back flip VS rollover?

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi again everyone,

Don't ya' just love us newbees?

I understand from the archives and from helpful responses from all you helpful people! that the the pucker factor for mowing across a slope becomes large at about 15 degrees, and that more than 20 degrees may cause a scream or two in many cases. This is for a side roll over.

What about for a back flip?

I know all things are not equal, but say for just the tractor with fel attached, going up hill, slowly with no sudden power changes to the wheels?

My carpenter level and tape measure, plus trig tables, tells me the steepest slop on the back hill is about 21 degrees max. I don't HAVE to climb that, but do have a walking path that goes up there that I maintain on my little MTD garden tractor. I was able to climb and descend it before I put chains on the back of the garden tractor.

If I get the B2910 Kubota that I expect to, would it be reasonable to expect that I could safely climb up a 21 degree slope frontwards with a 48 inch rotary cutter [brush hog type] on the back?

I assume that going down froward would be no problem, except for the necessity to maintain traction so the tractor does not "run away" due to lack of braking ability. But 4wd should help in that case...

I know mowing across a 30 degree slope would NEVER be recommended by most who read these words. But how about going up 30 degrees, with the tractor in forward gear, with a brush hog on the back? Reasonable, cr ? How about 25 degrees?

Whats the rule of thumb for ups and downs VS the 15 degree[or so] number often used as the max for cross moves?

Thanks for you help!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #2  
I go up and down a slope ~25° everytime I cut the grass. I have the FEL off normally when I mow. Don't have any front weights either. Hasn't been a problem. I use 4WD. I use a low gear.

Remember, with the cutter rigged to your 3PH, that's going to reduce the back roll over potential. Of course, that's with the cutter on the ground...not in the transport position.

Driving down...don't assume that wouldn't be a concern! There's a possibility the tractor could over run if the slope is steep enough. I'd run down it in as low a gear as possible, at least for the first few cuts.

The attached pic was posted (on TBN) by another fellow whose name eludes me. You can see what he does.

Attachments

• 47-178693-slope1.jpg
    47-178693-slope1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 135
   / Angles...back flip VS rollover? #3  
When in doubt, I backed my brush hog (and finish mower) up slopes or drove down forward. That B2910 is going to be hydrostatic, and I'd use 4WD just to be sure, but I think you'll find you don't even need the brake pedal on your slopes. And like Roy, I always liked to mow with the FEL off. And for 21 degree slopes, you'll be able to go up or down forward, although it was always just more comfortable for me to keep the front end headed down.

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #4  
I agree with Bird you won't have any problems on a 21 degree slope.

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #5  
I mow a couple of slopes that are probably more like 30 degrees (maybe more). For the really steep ones (30+), I back the mower up the hill, making sure that I am going straight up and down (as Bird recommends). I will go up or down a 20 degree slope. The real key is to go slowly and smoothly.

And make sure you're using ROPS and wearing the seatbelt...Chris

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #6  
ditto bir5d and cowboy doc. I have a small portion of hill that looks pretty cloes to what royjackson is cutting and I back up it with the loader on and don't feel at all tippy. 21 deg should be no problem at all......

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #7  
A slope of 20+ degree is a steep slope if it is long enough. I have a power line right-of-way across one property that I mow. The power line was just put in year before last.. I thought that the front side was pretty steep (say 200 yards worth) when I got a four foot straight edge and a incline-o-meter and checked the steepest I could come up with was about 22 degrees. The backside that is hard to walk up with out sliding would only go a fudge over 25 degrees... I know that line crew turned over some equipment on the back side and turned over two 4-wheelers sending one man to the hospital and totaling out the 4-wheeler... BECAREFUL and think about how lone the ride is going to be if it does not go according to plan. I will try to take some pictures and post soon.

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #8  
Roy, Thats a great shot of a good looking tractor!!!....Of course I may not be the best judge, as thats me on the tractor! And that hill is alot steeper than it looks!

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #9  
"...thats me on the tractor!"

Hey Von!!!
Yeah, that slope looks pretty intimidating!
I'm glad you spoke up...had that pic long enough, I'd forgotten who posted it!

/ Angles...back flip VS rollover? #10  
macher,

My L3710 manual says to back up steep slopes. When you think of where the most of the weight on the tractor with implement is that makes sense.

I hope this helps,

Don