Backhoe Root Rake for a backhoe?

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #1  

tommcintire

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310
Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes root rakes for a backhoe? I have a Woods BH-90X on my NH 2310, and want to be able to better handle brush as well as pull stumps, etc. The 18 inch bucket doesn't work well for brush. The thumb and bucket meet nearly parallel, so stuff just slips out the bottom.

I've been thinking something like a 4 tine rake, where the center two are just to the outside of the thumb, and then two outlying ones. Make the tines curved inward enough on the rake that I can "capture" brush, etc, with it with ease... Burning season is here in MA, and I have lots of brush I need to burn from my field opening project. :).

My other thought is to contact a custom fab shop, and inquire with them on how much to build one from scratch.

-Tom

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #2  
Why not use a grappel on the front instead? Seems it would be easier to use since you can drive the tractor around and form a pile.

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #3  
Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes root rakes for a backhoe? I have a Woods BH-90X on my NH 2310, and want to be able to better handle brush as well as pull stumps, etc.
My other thought is to contact a custom fab shop, and inquire with them on how much to build one from scratch.

-Tom

Have you checked with Wood's?

I looked at the Deere model rake for my 110 backhoe and decided to go the route that jenkensph suggested --

a loader mounted grapple. It's a much faster and easier way to manage brush, trees, etc. - IMO.

The only time I've had 2nd thoughts about a loader grapple is whenever I have to break-out large trees and stumps from big piles.

They can get so tangled and intertwined that my loader can't efficiently or easily pull out a manageable load. So, I have to use the BH to seperate things out and then loader-grapple things to my burn pile.

AKfish

/ Root Rake for a backhoe?
Did consider a front mounted grapple. Problem is that I don't have aux hydraulics on front (yet). Also, I have a LOT of grubbing to do on the project I am working on (when I get everything cleared, I anticipate grubbing about 1 acre of dense small roots). So I was thinking a backhoe mounted rake might be the cat's meow for that. Finally, I at least was hoping that a simple rake for the backhoe would be only a few hundred dollars... After all, there are no moving parts, nothing hydraulic, etc. It is just a big chunk of welded steel.

For the moment, for what I need to burn this year, I might just suck it up and rent a bobcat or alike with a grapple. Would be the simple solution...

-Tom

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #5  
Ever think of using a local welder or metal fabricator? Around here there are a couple of guys that do welding and fabrication for a lot of the local farmers. Usually in a mobile truck type of operation.

It doesn't need to come from Woods or Land Pride to be a useful implement.

Just a thought.

Layne

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #6  
Tom , Do a search for "Silver Lake Fabrication" on New Hampshire CL. They make some decent looking tractor attachments. They might also be interested in new product ideas. MikeD74T

/ Root Rake for a backhoe? #7  
I know its cool to do your own work with your own equipment but someone with a dozer and root rake would do it very quickly, deeper, and also level at the same time.
You could then use you hoe to shake out and pile the brush piles to burn well.

Your approach with the small hoe might drive you crazy with how long it will take you and the result at the end.

I tried this with my TLB with a 4' rake on three acres and found it very slow and painful. I had a large excavator do another 5 acres and it was pretty slow as well. So I bought a root rake for my dozer and WOW, very fast and a good level field when done but the piles had a bit too much soil in them so I had to shake them out with the hoe.

I agree with others about the grapple. Take out what you can with it and use your hoe for the big ones. The grapple will come in very handy for many years down the road as opposed to the rake.

Just my experience.