Collecting unpaid debt

/ Collecting unpaid debt #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
How many of you business owners have had trouble collecting for work you have done. We did some spraying and mowing for a guy at the end of last summer and have yet to collect the bill of around $4,000. I have only been able to reach him one time and he told me I would have my money in 10 days. I have left a dozen messages on his phone and sent an invoice every month. I have stated that if their is a problem to please let me know and that I would work with him. After months of no response I feel the only thing left to do is see my attorney. I don't really want to do this, but what else is left. We agreed on the price and he told me he was well satisfied with the work. We always make sure the the customer is happy or we will fix it. We resprayed 20 acres last year at our own expense to keep a customer happy and had that been the problem here we would have done the same. I am thinking we may have to start collecting before the we do the work but I don't like that idea either. I don't like to pay for a service I have yet to recieve so I have a problem doing that to someone else.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #2  
I courteous personal visit may shed some light on the situation. Gas is cheaper than lawyers.
Just my .02

/ Collecting unpaid debt #3  
Might be a good idea to speak with your attorney about it, if nothing else he can help you set up the proper paperwork method to help with this in the future. Every now and then this will come up if you are in business, you simply have to make the best of it. I try to get past it but don't blame my other custormers because of a few bad apples. I get signed proposals for most jobs I do, but still recognize you can't get blood out of a turnip.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #4  
I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV, but.....

I can't help but wonder if he isn't in the same boat with other folks, as well. Iffen it were me, I'd at least see an attorney about filing a lien, before other folks get in line before you.

Just a thought, only an opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #5  
How many of you business owners have had trouble collecting for work you have done. We did some spraying and mowing for a guy at the end of last summer and have yet to collect the bill of around $4,000. I have only been able to reach him one time and he told me I would have my money in 10 days. I have left a dozen messages on his phone and sent an invoice every month. I have stated that if their is a problem to please let me know and that I would work with him. After months of no response I feel the only thing left to do is see my attorney. I don't really want to do this, but what else is left. We agreed on the price and he told me he was well satisfied with the work. We always make sure the the customer is happy or we will fix it. We resprayed 20 acres last year at our own expense to keep a customer happy and had that been the problem here we would have done the same. I am thinking we may have to start collecting before the we do the work but I don't like that idea either. I don't like to pay for a service I have yet to recieve so I have a problem doing that to someone else.

I don't know the law in Ill. but in Ga. you can file a lien on the property you performed the work on in the amount owed. It will be a cloud on his title and will be an encumbrance when he tries to sell it. You might send him a certified demand letter first giving him 10 days to pay before you take further legal action. That much you can do on your own and then armed with that you can take your copies to an attorney and sometimes just a letter from an attorney ( does not cost much ) gets results.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #6  
I think you should be able to file a lien.

You also may be able to take him to small claims court.

I would call your county court and see what they suggest.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #7  
You know he is not honest, at least with you here. So doubtful you will ever want to do business with him again unless situation changes. You also could be facing a time limit to file claim or he could be selling the land if it was his and you loose the ability to file the lien. Then I am not an attorney but to me if he was honest with you and was not able to pay for some UN-FORE-SEEN reason. It could be just his normal scam up to he is really embarrassed and does not know how to face you.

You probably have a legal right to get credit report on him and that should not cost a lot and can tell you a good bit. At same time your county may have great court records on the INTERNET and for free you can see if he has been sued for such.

/ Collecting unpaid debt #8  

I hope you the best of luck on collecting your money. I have heard similiar stories several times in the past year. This is why I just listen and don't comment when someone says, "Sales Are Good".

/ Collecting unpaid debt #9  
Have the time limits, penalties for early and late payment, on the first invoice. Then you get their attention and get your bills ahead of others that he owes without those late fees spelled out.

He is likely paying his most urgent bills first. You've essentially told him you were not in a real hurry for his money, and willing to bend over backwards if a problem paying. You have let your guard down, and big threats now may not mean much to him.

You are being a "nice guy" and likely you are a very nice guy. Just hard to be a "business" guy. :)

/ Collecting unpaid debt #10  
Go to the Circuit Clerks office in your county and file a small claim against him. You will have to pay a filing fee, I believe it is around $50, but that could have changed. The court will issue a summons which will be served by the County Sheriff. Bring copies of all letters of correspondence, pictures, billing statements and so forth to court. Let Him explain to the judge why he has not paid you. BTW you do not need a lawyer to file a small claim.