Oil Change heads up - "true confessions"

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
Oil Change heads up - \"true confessions\"

Don't make the same stupid mistake I did. Those "gallon" jugs of Mobil 1 and Syntec actually have 5 quarts in them - not 4.

I wasn't paying attention so I changed my oil and dumped in the whole "gallon" jug plus a little out of a quart container. My B6100 takes 4.1 Quarts.

I had actually put 5.1 quarts in it.

The "dipstick" is only about 2" long and does not have "add" and "full" marks on it so when I checked the level after the oil change the dipstick was wet with oil so I figured OK.

Next time I ran the tractor, a quart (or so) of oil blew out the breather tube. I couldn't figure out why until I was in Wally World last night and noticed the "gallon" jugs are marked "5 Quarts". Duh...

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #2  
Re: Oil Change heads up - \"true confessions\"

Not oil, but an overfill confession just the same.
Not sure how much my fuel tank on my JD950 holds but I have poured 5 gallons in it before when it was near empty and it was still well below the top.
Well, the other day I thought for some reason it was near empty and my 5 gallon plastic can was full. So I set it up on the hood, leaned it over, put the spout in the filler tube, layed the can over flat on the hood, and went to doing something else while it filled. Heard something dripping and looked back to see diesel running down the side of the tractor and across the floor of my shop. Boy what a dummy./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #3  

Here's one: I was filling our pickup fuel tank with gasoline from a manual pump tank in the back of the pickup, while it was parked on the city street. I was in the pickup box stroking the pump handle, and my sister was in the cab. I asked her to watch the gauge and tell me when it was close to full. I thought she'd have the common sense to turn on the key. There was fuel running down the gutter about 15 feet away when I noticed it and stopped pumping.

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #4  

Aw shoot, you can't hold a candle to my world class IDIOT stepson when it comes to oil.
The first time the oil light came on on his 4 cyl Pontiac LeMans, he found the first convenience store, and added 2 quarts of oil. NO, he didn't pull the dipstick first.
The second incident was when he figured he was saving on driving cost by stealing 30 weight diesel grade out of the drum to change his own oil. That cost him $482-.
The third time, he pulled under a bridge to fix his wipers cause they jammed, and after fixing the wipers, he turned the key on and noticed the oil light came on. Being brilliant, and not wanting to damage his engine, he added 3 quarts from the stock he carried in the trunk. Oddly, when he finally managed to get the engine running, it bucked and snorted, as well as lacked power. The tow truck cost $286- and the garage charged him $129-.
8 hours after the tow truck dropped the car, I pulled the dipstick and it was definitely the first time I saw an oil giser shoot out of an engine.

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #5  

I'm just guessing here - but is it safe to say that you don't hold your stepson in high regard?? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #6  

Since you used the word "high", I presume you've met him.

I didn't even include the night he walked the last half mile home cause, "the dam oil pump crapped out". Since I was tired, I asked how he knew that, and he informed me the oil light came on. His mother then asked how much gas he had in the tank, and he informed her 3 days, cause it had only been on E since yesterday. I just stood there and said yup, dam oil pump crapped out, grab the gas can fool. Did I mention that it took him and his buddys 54 days to change the timing belt, and that he wouldn't start the engine till the new plastic belt cover arrived, cause that cover keeps the oil in the engine.
Nor, did I mention the 2 wrecks, cause he's sure backup lights are to see when you are backing up, and not to alert the world a fool is backing out of a parking space.
He only drives them, he doesn't fix them! He's a licensed refridgeration technician, all gasses, including lo pressure ammonia. I presume that means he got the cap off the bottle of Parsons Household Ammonia.
I'm not even going to list all the tickets he got in the first year, while he was on his mother's insurance, or what that cost.

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #7  

Franz:
You didn't mention the age of your "idiot stepson". Obviously, he's old enough to drive but, I suspect, he's still young. As you share his many foolish acts, I'm struck by his fearlessness. He keeps on plugging away at life in spite of it all.

He may very well be the idiot you suggest. On the other hand, after the yelling is over with does anyone take the time to teach and explain to him how to better understand and diagnose those problems we need to deal with every day?

Being "stupid" is a somewhat relative evaluation. There are doctors and lawyers here in NYC who don't even know where to add oil to their engines. They don't know that oil comes in different "weights". It seems to me that our own biological sons are never as dumb as our stepsons. Maybe your stepson is a hopeless case........then again, the problem may lie elsewhere.

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #8  

Wise comments, BrokerBob. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #9  

The first oil incident in the Pontiac came a month after he destroyed the 2.8 in the Jeep, 1/2 mile from home, because he was more interested in the TUNE than the oil pressure and temperature gagues. That's how he got the Pontiac.
For some strange reason, it was, according to his mom, my job to get the 2 extra quarts out of the Pontiac, cause littel Prescious had to go to work at pizzaland.
I assure you, DIPSTICK 1.01 was meticulously covered that night, and reviwd the next day.
One week later, we learned to do the math to figure out exactly how many hours we had to work to pay the ticket and court fees for the 22 seconds we could have saved by going 57 in a 40 zone.
When the Pontiac got hit the first time, by the Old Lady (39) in the $16000 Buick, I spent 2 hours teaching Prescious how to fill out an accident report. Evidently, in his mind or what passes for a mind, I do it so well, that too should be my job, so he can devote his full effort to getting hit and collecting money.
The night the oil pump crapped out, Prescious left the car in an intersection, in the dark, with all lights turned off, (he didn't want to waste his battery). When I brought that up, I was informed, if somebody hit it he'd get a nicer car.
Shortly after that, all efforts on my part to teach the boy ended, when he demonstrated that he knew how to construct a complete sentance with 2 words, starting with F & Y, and they were not fraternally yours. I informed him the next time he told me that I would consider it an invitation, and he should best have a broom and a jar of vasalene for me, cause he was going to learn what Abner Louima felt like.
This kid is a certifiable IDIOT, who has learned to scam his way thru the system. He got himself certified as learning disabled so he could take as long as he wanted on tests in school, thereby getting the corrected test from his buddy and maintain an A average.
He scammed his way thru VoTeck, by getting his shop partner to do the work.
He blew a union apprenticeship cause he won't pee in a bottle for any job.

/ Oil Change heads up - "true confessions" #10  

One of these days the stepson will grow up, they usually do, then again some never do./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif