Oil & Fuel Which diesel fuel to use?

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #11  
How about using diesel fuel conditioner in the stuff available at the local gas station. I don't know where I can buy the off road diesel...probably cost more to go get it than it would just to use the gas station stuff.

The mechanic at the dealer where I got my tractor, a Kubota B2910, just delivered today, by the way, said to use the conditioner with the gas station fuel. Said I can find it at Walmart by the quart...

Is the diesel fuel conditioner a good thing to use?

This newbie wants to know...:)

Bill

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #12  
Bill,

I agree with the others and only use off road. Call around to local oil companies, in most areas they will be able to get the off road.
I use to use 5 galllon jugs but that gets old for a hungry 70 hp tractor, so I will be using a plastic 55 gallon drum from now on.
The cost difference is significant.

As far as additives I like power service. Have been using it in my F250 for some time and it works well. You can get this at tractor supply or atwoods (maybe wallmart?). Keeps fungus from growing and prevents fuel gelling in winter.

Fred

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #13  
Jerry;

The New York form to claim the refund is FT-946 - Motor Fuel Tax Refund Application. It's filed separately from any income tax forms, unlike the Federal refund/credit.

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #14  
There's a FastLane station at the interstate exit near my property. I found out last week that they have a pump the dispenses "onroad", "offroad" and kerosine. The offroad is $.45 a gallon cheaper than the onroad. Now I stop there and fill my can.

No forms required!

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #15  
Hayden may be right, but sulfur content may vary from time to time or place to place, couldn't it?
The following is a quote from my JD 855 owners manual- IMPORTANT: USE FUEL WITH LESS THAN 1.0% SULFUR. IF POSSIBLE, USE FUEL WITH LESS THAT 0.5% SULFUR. IF FUEL SULFUR IS MORE THAN 0.5%, CHANGE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER EVERY 100 HOURS. (The JD recommended oil change interval for my tractor is every 200 hours.)
That makes it sound like there is, or has been, or could be diesel with more than the on-road level of sulfur. Not only that, it doesn't sound as though the fuel with higher sulfur content is recommended, nor that the benefit of higher sulfur (if any) is worth the potential risk. That is, whatever consequences might occur with more rapid contamination of the crankcase oil.
I am not speaking as an expert, but as a definite non-expert drawing conclusions from my owners manual. Really, my only point is that for whatever benefit higher sulfur might have, there may be consequences, too.

OkieG

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #16  
Everyone seems to be recommending the high sulfur brand - does that address also the changes between #1 and #2 in the winter?

-Bob

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #17  
My JD dealer said to only use the 'on road' stuff. I called a local fuel supplier and asked him to deliver 200+ gallons of 'diesel fuel' to my barn heat oil tank. He laughed and said it's all the same stuff(heating oil/deisel on or off), just that if you tell them it's for machinery they put an anti-gel attitive in it in the winter.

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #18  
I found a place that is not too far out of my way...Mars, PA...that sells the off-road stuff. The guy there said that it used to come in the same truck, before they started to add the dye, and now it comes in different trucks...but that it is the same stuff.

In the pre-dye days, they used to have two pumps pumping from the same tank...for what that is worth.

Anyway, if cheaper is better, or cheaper is the same, cheaper is cheaper and since it is not inferior, I will go cheaper as long as I am able to get the stuff without going too far out of my way.

Was happy to find the off-road. Asked at the tire dealer where I got my front R4 tire repaired this morning where I might find some off-road desiel. 4 ply R4s...AAAARG! But 6 ply might have punctured too...

Bill in Pgh, PA...about 7 miles...maybe 10...down the river...

/ Which diesel fuel to use? #19  
The place I go to seems to be pretty proud of what they carry (DTR Offroad Diesel) and has big signs above the pump. It supposedly has the additives already in it. I however haven't found anything on the web about it yet.

BTW, what did you pay per gln? Mine was like $1.14.

- G

/ Which diesel fuel to use?
For the off road I pay 0.89 cents a gallon! The on road was going for $1.29 a gallon. That's why I asked in the first place. This is a HUGE difference if the fuel is the same except for the red dye.