Block heater question on Kubota tractor

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #1  

allthingsoutdoors

Tractor
Kubota L3240
I have a 2007 Kubota L3240 HST tractor with a dealer installed block heater. I keep the tractor in my garage and keep the heater set on 42 degrees to keep the dog warm.
I have never used the block heater and always start the tractor and let it run a few minutes before I move it. It has never hesitated to start right up.
Is there any need to use the block heater since the tractor and oil are never colder than 40 degrees? I would use it if there was any advantage, but would not want to waste electricity if there was no advantage.

Thanks,
Mike

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #2  
I begin to use my block heater when it gets below freezing. My tractor is an unheated pole building. I would say to save your money and not use the block heater.

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #3  
if your garage is 42 degrees you have no need for a block heater.

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #4  
No need for it. You will know when it's too cold by the tractor not wanting to start right up. Somewhere below freezing - each tractor is a little different, one of my diesel's is right around freezing; one is down to 5 degrees before it has trouble.

--->Paul

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #5  
I only use mine if its below 20 deg. My tractor is in a unheated barn like the others so then its a must but you have a good situation and do not need it.

Chris

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #6  
I use mine when below ~ 15 deg.F and then with a timer.

If you plug it in all the time for a few nights, your electric bill will remind you to get a timer.

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #7  
I have a 2007 Kubota L3240 HST tractor with a dealer installed block heater. I keep the tractor in my garage and keep the heater set on 42 degrees to keep the dog warm.
I have never used the block heater and always start the tractor and let it run a few minutes before I move it. It has never hesitated to start right up.
Is there any need to use the block heater since the tractor and oil are never colder than 40 degrees? I would use it if there was any advantage, but would not want to waste electricity if there was no advantage.

Thanks,
Mike

My garage is also heated - I keep the thermostat at 42 degrees. My L3400 starts right up every time with absolutely no issues. I was pretty confident that would be the case so I never installed a block heater in it. My F350 that sits outside, well thats a different story!

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #9  
Plug in the block heater for a while before you start the tractor. It just makes everything easier to start the warmer the motor is. You do not need to leave it plugged in all the time. Adjust the amount of time you leave it plugged in depending on how cold it is.

There are after market heaters available that go as high as 1500 watts. I have one on my JD301A (around 45hp 3 cylinder diesel). It was 35 here this morning. I plugged it in and could not get back to it for about 90 minutes. The temp guage in the head was already up to operating temp. At 20 degrees, I leave it plugged in for about 30 minutes and it starts right up no problem. You may want to consider something along these lines if you want to heat it up in a hurry.

/ Block heater question on Kubota tractor #10  
WHAT ? You don't think that 42 might be a tad cool? Do you have a sled dog?

Yeah. I'm with SARG Keep that dog nice and comfortable.
As for the block heater. No need to plug it in in the 42F garage.