Security & Theft Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #12  
On my soapbox:)
We don't need new regulations we need people to wake up and learn as our forefathers did. If it looks like a skunk, walks like a skunk and smells like a skunk then.......It must be a skunk.
Off my soapbox:)

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #13  
My tractors are covered for theft by my home owners insurance, there also covered by Smith & Wesson, if I happen to catch them in the act.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #14  
I have to speak up against the idea of tractor titles too. Government has put enough paper work into my life without titling personal property such as this. Titles *kind of* work for cars because cars are registered and thus, titles can be checked when one goes to register a used, or new tractor. In so far as my tractors aren't road-registered, short of premises inspection by the government (don't even give them the idea!), how could tractor titles even be enforced or checked?

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #15  
Shoot the thug.!!

If he found his way into my garage I would shoot all four corners and turn the light on and see what I got.!!

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #16  
Yeah, my equipment is insured against theft also....but only if my other carrier (Smith & Wesson and Remington) don't file a claim first.

I think a database (not government run) of stolen ag equipment woud be useful. A lot of equipment is hauled out of state and sold at auctions or just moved further down the road to avoid detection. Checking a database set up for stolen equipment only might give the honest guy a chance; especially if he's the one who was victimized or worse yet bought a stolen unit unknowingly and had to return it while losing all his money to boot.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #17  
Requiring titles for tractors, ATV's, golf carts, etc. would present a huge (and hidden agenda) windfall for the gov't, at least in the states where personal property taxes are levied. I pay $155 per year personal property tax on my travel trailer, which is about the same value as my tractor, which I pay no tax on.

A coupla years back ,there had been a huge rash of ATV thefts, 4-wheelers. The Legislature started the process to title, thinking that would deter theft. Then the old property tax issue came to light and public sentiment shut the whole idea down.

I look at this issue as I see "hate crime legislation," totally unnecessary. There are already laws on the books, enforce and prosecutate to the max on those laws.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #18  
I have to agree that titling won't help. At best, it would ensure that the tractor was parted out. Lots of parts that cannot be tracked.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #19  
When i lived in the uk i went to a piece of land that we had away from the yard one morning and found a really nice ford 5000 stuffed in the trees. Asuming that a neighbour had mechanical trouble on the road and hid it out of vandals sight thought nothing of it.
4 days passed and nothing so i called the police, They came and looked at it and then another week passed and eventually it was towed..cop said it was not reported missing...??
We had a county tractor taken off a forestry job too.They were seen doing it, Pulled up with a nice semi in broad daylight all the guys kitted out in hard hats and hi-viz jackets. Drove it on the truck and took a lot of excavator buckets and other attachments and chainsaws from a shipping container too.Nobody even questioned it as they looked the part....The tractor was never found..?