Security & Theft Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
The Portland, Maine newspaper, "The Portland Press Herald" reported yesterday that a man from Lewiston, Maine was indicted in U.S. District Court for wire fraud in connection with an email message he sent in 2006 to the buyer of a Kubota BX24 tractor in Ossining, N.Y. Prosecutors said he sold three stolen tractors on eBay. He faces federal imprisonment of up to 20 years and a fine of up to $250,000 on the wire fraud charge. On a charge of making false statements to a government agency, he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. The judge has the leeway to exceed the sentence or make it less. The judge could also impose as much as three years of supervised release in addition to prison time and fines on each count.
Glad they nabbed him, and I certainly hope the judge does the right thing and throws the book at him.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #2  
Glad they got him. The really need to Title tractors and all equipment to put a stop to this.

Chris

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #3  
:eek: In Maine, dang I didn't know folks were stealing tractors up here:(

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #4  
Get a rope.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #5  
Glad they got him. The really need to Title tractors and all equipment to put a stop to this.

Chris

I am surprised they haven't, it's an easy revenue and would pay for itself. Even if it was $50, I'd be fine with it, of course it's probably looked at as an ag thing. Thank God for insurance..

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #6  
But wait, there's more:

PORTLAND, Maine A Lewiston, Maine, man charged last month with selling stolen tractors on eBay is facing a new charge of criminal mischief. Matthew Theriault, 25, was indicted on charges of wire fraud and lying to an FBI agent. As a condition of his release, he promised not to commit any new crimes. Eleven days later, he was seen parking a truck behind the car of a man who had been in a dispute with Theriault's father, then quickly leaving.

A police officer found the interior of the man's car was covered in a brown liquid and chunky substance that smelled like feces.

The Portland Press Herald reported Theriault was arrested by U.S. marshals last week.

He was to appear in court Thursday on Wolff's motion to revoke his bail.

This guy is a real gem! Titles may make it easier to track stolen tractors, but I don't know how much of a theft deterrent they would be. Autos have titles and get stolen all the time of course.
Dave.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #7  
Titles may make it easier to track stolen tractors, but I don't know how much of a theft deterrent they would be. Autos have titles and get stolen all the time of course.
Dave.

I have to agree. Probably not a deterrent. I'm glad they caught him. Can't stand for a thief!:mad:

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #8  
I have to agree. Probably not a deterrent. I'm glad they caught him. Can't stand for a thief!:mad:

Maybe the most useful aspect of a tractor title would be for potential buyers to sort out some of the more obviously stolen units. If stolen things are harder to sell, they aren't as worth stealing - hopefully :)

If you were looking at (to buy) a tractor that had a suspicious title, would you report it to the local police/sherrif?
Dave.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #9  
The government collecting more money on each tractor sale.... that is exactly what we all need. Make it a sub catagory under bank financing, social security, and medicare. When one realizes how much politicians can screw up things up it is really scary. Now for the universal health care bill we can take away benefits from medicare so these older citizens can pay more of the bill.
You get your title... I will lock my shed and buy from local trustworthy owners / dealers. The person seeking a "deal " from someone he never met 2000 miles away should get everything that is coming to him. Common sense will prevail and the majority of us will be fine. The good part is one needs a serial number to get most major repair parts. Shady buyers will have to work around this.

/ Tractor Thief Indicted In Maine #10  
You get your title... I will lock my shed and buy from local trustworthy owners / dealers. The person seeking a "deal " from someone he never met 2000 miles away should get everything that is coming to him. Common sense will prevail and the majority of us will be fine. The good part is one needs a serial number to get most major repair parts. Shady buyers will have to work around this.

Thieves will always find a way to profit - title or not. At least tractors don't get stolen by teenager's to go joy riding - I hope that's 99% true at least :)

I don't know if having a title makes it easier to catch and prosecute the criminals or not. I suppose Kubota chop shops would become a growth industry. :D
Dave.