Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #1  

budlite

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
My wife is retiring soon and wants to learn how to operate our JD 5103 tractor, almost exclusively for bushogging about 30 acres, with trees scattered throughout. Other than me showing her the controls and having her read the operation manuals, is there any other resource around for this sort of thing? Of course safety is a prime consideration.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #2  
You might set her down in front of the computer and search the Owning Operating history here on TBN. That education only goes so far. Hands on operation is the best teacher. Give her the biggest lecture on the PTO and anything hooked to it being a huge danger zone.
Just had another brainstorm is to see if your local JD dealer might have some videos. They might be willing to help out thinking you could be a customer.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #3  
My wife is retiring soon and wants to learn how to operate our JD 5103 tractor, almost exclusively for bushogging about 30 acres, with trees scattered throughout. Other than me showing her the controls and having her read the operation manuals, is there any other resource around for this sort of thing? Of course safety is a prime consideration.

A Bible..........

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #4  
Give her the instruction and make sure she wears her seatbelt, hearing and eye protection. Emphasize safety and what harm a PTO or cutter can do. Also, slow speeds at least initially...she's retired, so no hurry, right?
If the area has been cleaned before, there's probably few obstructions left to worry about other then the trees you wrote about.
She'll be OK...and even if she does make a mistake (like we all do), use that as a training opportunity rather then an *** chewing.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #7  
You are a brave man! It makes me nervous when I am in the car with my wife of 36 years is driving. I think I would tell her if she can put fuel in it and fix what ever she breaks, go for it. I don't know it took me a long time to convince her we needed a tractor so how could I tell her no?
GREAT! SHE JUST READ THIS POST!!!!! now i'm in deep %#$@

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #8  
I got tired of grading the land where we had our pole building built, so I gave my wife a little instruction and watched her and gave her a few more thoughts and then left her alone. She must have spend 20 hours using the front end loader and back blade and is now quite competent and comfortable.

I thought maybe during the next snow event, I would show her how to use the blower. Sometimes I travel during the winter, so I would like her to feel comfortable using the blower.

It is good to have a backup person who knows how to use the tractor in case I keel over sooner than I thought I would.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #9  
You're a VERY brave man!!:D My wife doesn't even know what a snowblower or lawnmower is let alone operate one. :p

Actually, I think it's great that your wife likes that stuff. I wish mine did. Ok I'm jealous!:(

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #10  
My wife shredded over 200 acres last year with a JD 4020 and 15 foot batwing, while I was cutting, raking, baling and moving hay. She has really helped out a lot. She started out several years ago with a MF 2135 and 6 foot bushhog and then two years ago gradually learned to drive the 4020/batwing set up.