Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5303

Default Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor

My wife is retiring soon and wants to learn how to operate our JD 5103 tractor, almost exclusively for bushogging about 30 acres, with trees scattered throughout. Other than me showing her the controls and having her read the operation manuals, is there any other resource around for this sort of thing? Of course safety is a prime consideration.
    The more people who become government dependents, the more likely that democracy will become a conspiracy against self-reliance.

JD 5303 MFWD, MX-7 Cutter, 522 FEL, Gill SR30 boxblade

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Default Re: Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor

You might set her down in front of the computer and search the Owning Operating history here on TBN. That education only goes so far. Hands on operation is the best teacher. Give her the biggest lecture on the PTO and anything hooked to it being a huge danger zone.
    Just had another brainstorm is to see if your local JD dealer might have some videos. They might be willing to help out thinking you could be a customer.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Quote Originally Posted by budlite View Post
    My wife is retiring soon and wants to learn how to operate our JD 5103 tractor, almost exclusively for bushogging about 30 acres, with trees scattered throughout. Other than me showing her the controls and having her read the operation manuals, is there any other resource around for this sort of thing? Of course safety is a prime consideration.
    A Bible..........
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Give her the instruction and make sure she wears her seatbelt, hearing and eye protection. Emphasize safety and what harm a PTO or cutter can do. Also, slow speeds at least initially...she's retired, so no hurry, right?
    If the area has been cleaned before, there's probably few obstructions left to worry about other then the trees you wrote about.
    She'll be OK...and even if she does make a mistake (like we all do), use that as a training opportunity rather then an *** chewing.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Quote Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
    A Bible..........
    And all of the people said............."Amen!"
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Watch your back ! When your wife wants to take over the tractor duties...Look out...I'm just saying...LOL
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    L3400,

You are a brave man! It makes me nervous when I am in the car with my wife of 36 years is driving. I think I would tell her if she can put fuel in it and fix what ever she breaks, go for it. I don't know it took me a long time to convince her we needed a tractor so how could I tell her no?
    GREAT! SHE JUST READ THIS POST!!!!! now i'm in deep %#$@
    L3400,Landscape box, brush hog, erskine rear pull snow blower,7'meyers plow.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

I got tired of grading the land where we had our pole building built, so I gave my wife a little instruction and watched her and gave her a few more thoughts and then left her alone. She must have spend 20 hours using the front end loader and back blade and is now quite competent and comfortable.

I thought maybe during the next snow event, I would show her how to use the blower. Sometimes I travel during the winter, so I would like her to feel comfortable using the blower.

It is good to have a backup person who knows how to use the tractor in case I keel over sooner than I thought I would.

Tractor
    2001 JD 790

You're a VERY brave man!! My wife doesn't even know what a snowblower or lawnmower is let alone operate one.

Actually, I think it's great that your wife likes that stuff. I wish mine did. Ok I'm jealous!
    2001 John Deere 790, 579 hours,#70 FEL and ballast Box. 5ft Curtis Cab plow. Cab, and chipper on the wish list!
    '92 Mazda Miata w/hardtop (Hers)
    '01 Harley Ultra
    '83 Harley FLHS (My baby)
    Custom built Ultima chopper with 120" power plant! VROOM!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2135

My wife shredded over 200 acres last year with a JD 4020 and 15 foot batwing, while I was cutting, raking, baling and moving hay. She has really helped out a lot. She started out several years ago with a MF 2135 and 6 foot bushhog and then two years ago gradually learned to drive the 4020/batwing set up.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast