Oil & Fuel out of fuel on a NH tc35

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Argh!!!! :>(

I was out working on a dirt moving project and the sweat running in my eyes must have kept me from seeing the fuel gauge. It started to sputter, I managed to get it out of the mud and it then died. I added 4 gal of fuel and haven't tried to start it yet.
Do the NH have a bleed valve, or will the pump suck up the fuel from the tank???

thanks
gary

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #2  
I don't know anything about your machine. Is it gas or diesel? Gas shouldn't usually be a problem, depending on how its put together. Often times the things will self prime if not right away, give it a couple hours. Diesel is supposed to be awful, but I had to pull a head off my old Case 580C once, which means I had to bleed it. I didn't have a manual, so I just backed off the injector couplings till the oil squirted out. Started well after that.

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #3  
is the tank full now ?? if not fill 'er up !!

if so ... shut off the fuel valve at the fuel filter...remove the bowl, open the valve and get a clear flow...now shut the valve...we now have a full fuel line and quite a mess !!.

fill the bowl with clean fuel and carefully screw it in place. you may find its easier to partiall screw the bowl in place and slowly crack the valve to fill it.

now, if your'e lucky, you can crank a few seconds and refill the system.

if not there is a bleed valve on the fuel pump but you should'nt need it.

you may need to refill the bowl once to complete this task.

also....as I learned from snowmobiling in northern Quebec...fill that tank at every opportunity even if you only need a gallon or two. I always start the day with a full tank !!

Good luck

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #4  
My NH TC30 has a multi-step bleeding procedure to follow if you run it out of diesel. Kinda makes me envious of those Deeres with the self-bleeding system.

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #5  
I believe the fuel is gravity feed from the tank to the fuel filter and then pick up by the fuel pump. If you have fuel in the tank the filter bowl should fill. I was told the engine on my TC40 is self bleeding (I’m not sure about that) and it also has a manual bleed. I would think if your filter bowl is full you may only need to bleed the lines.

George

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #6  
Gary,

RTFM. My owner's manual has a detailed description of how to bleed the fuel system. I just had to do It when I did the 50 hour service on my TC18 (had to change the fuel filter).

The manual will show you nice pictures of where the bleed screws are. There are two places to bleed, the fuel pump & the injectors. I don't think you need to do anything with the filter bowl, but I'm going from memory here.

Basically you want to work your way from the fuel tank towards the cylinders. crack the screw & crank the engine repeat as needed. It's not as bad a chore as JD makes it out to be.

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #7  
Gary,

Your TC35 has an auto bleed system. The fuel bowl and the injector lines (where they attach to the block) are all auto bled. Like others have said, if the fuel bowl is empty I'd unscrew it to get the air out.

When you try to start your tractor be SURE that the tractor is in neutral and the brakes are set. If the brakes are not set it will crank all day but NOT start (I'm speaking from firsthand experience).

Good luck,

Peter

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35 #8  
My tc35d does not have an auto bleed system. The manual shows how to bleed it. I am far from being a mechanic but i was able to follow the instructions.

/ out of fuel on a NH tc35
Thanks all, the method I used was to
1. Filler-up
2. Turn the fuel inline valve to "closed" right above the filter. Remove the clear bowl where the fuel filter lives. The filter drops out with it and there's a spring in the bottom of the bowl. Open the vavle and let the fuel run into the bowl 3/4 full. Turned the valve to 'closed'.
3. With the filter lined-up in the bowl, and the bowl almost full. I screwed it back into the bracket.
4. Cranked the engine and in 4-5 secs it fired-up and ran great. I'll check today to insure that there's no leaks in the bowl area from improper alignment or looseness.

Peter, I got around that seat/break issue by disabling the seat switch with a 1/2" piece of wire at the switch making it think I'm in the seat all the time.
Not the safest of all modifications, but I've not had any problems with this TC35 or my earlier b2400. Most of my ground is pretty level and when it's not, I set the breaks.

thanks
gary