Another Chain Question

/ Another Chain Question #11  
Take a look at the Duo-ladder type chain trom tirechains.com Duo Ladder Tractor Tire Chains - they are exactly what you are describing, I have them and work well. I think you could easily add the "ladder" extra side chains (which is the difference between these and your current duo-grip type chain). The studded or V-bar chains are more aggressive but harder on pavement/concrete. I run those on the front and the duo-ladders on the rear.

/ Another Chain Question
Take a look at the Duo-ladder type chain trom tirechains.com Duo Ladder Tractor Tire Chains - they are exactly what you are describing, I have them and work well. I think you could easily add the "ladder" extra side chains (which is the difference between these and your current duo-grip type chain). The studded or V-bar chains are more aggressive but harder on pavement/concrete. I run those on the front and the duo-ladders on the rear.

That looks like a pretty good option for me. I finally got a price on the Norse chains and they are $920 +shipping for a set for the rear so I'd rather avoid that option. I could get those studded Talons for just under $400 which was the route I was going to go but nobody has them in stock.

I think I might add the ladder chains to my current duo-grips and give it a try. I might even go for a V-bar ladder chain to try to get a little more digging action.

/ Another Chain Question #13  
I finally got a price on the Norse chains and they are $920 +shipping for a set for the rear so I'd rather avoid that option.

Holy smoke , that's pricey !! What size tires do you have? Mine are 11.2 x 24 R1's, chains were $550 plus tax to hold 'em on with...

$920 seems pretty expensive, that would choke me right up..

Chilly

/ Another Chain Question
Holy smoke , that's pricey !! What size tires do you have? Mine are 11.2 x 24 R1's, chains were $550 plus tax to hold 'em on with...

$920 seems pretty expensive, that would choke me right up..

Chilly

My tires are 14.9 X 24, the price not only choked me up it ran me off:eek:

/ Another Chain Question #15  
My tires are 14.9 X 24, the price not only choked me up it ran me off:eek:

That's desperate expensive for that size.. that was a dealer in the US? If you wanted the Norse over another brand, I'd try calling the guys at Nova International, they've been great to deal with here. Shipping might not be as bad as I thought, I'd say you're looking at about $600 CDN plus shipping. After you translate the difference in currency, you're paying about the same as I did probably. An option anyway.

Chilly

/ Another Chain Question #16  
Has anyone ever tried these Aquiline Talon Studded chains?

FarmStudded_Silo.jpg

Are they pretty good?

This looks pretty much like the ones I have and they are great! But, expensive. Mine cost me 495$CD plus taxes for a sub-compact. It was hard to digest at first since I was expecting chains on all four wheels for that price but I got over it now and don't regret it. I got them from my MF dealer and don't know where they got them.

I was going to suggest you to try to add the missing links to have the squares connected to each other like this picture above. Even without the studs, I'm sure you would get better results for a much better price.

/ Another Chain Question
That's desperate expensive for that size.. that was a dealer in the US? If you wanted the Norse over another brand, I'd try calling the guys at Nova International, they've been great to deal with here. Shipping might not be as bad as I thought, I'd say you're looking at about $600 CDN plus shipping. After you translate the difference in currency, you're paying about the same as I did probably. An option anyway.

Chilly

That price was direct from Norse :eek:

/ Another Chain Question #18  
That price was direct from Norse :eek:

Hmm... a friend of mine was in Norway a few years ago, told me things were expensive as he** there. This may be an example of what he was getting at.

If you can find a dealer for them somewhere near you, you should be able to get them for the same or less than mine.

Chilly

/ Another Chain Question
Hmm... a friend of mine was in Norway a few years ago, told me things were expensive as he** there. This may be an example of what he was getting at.

If you can find a dealer for them somewhere near you, you should be able to get them for the same or less than mine.

Chilly

Cheapest ice chains I could find with exception of the Talons which were sold out were well over $700 :(

/ Another Chain Question #20  
Has anyone ever tried these Aquiline Talon Studded chains?

FarmStudded_Silo.jpg

Are they pretty good?

My tractor had these installed and while traction was good as well as the ride I got fedup with the links (read S hooks) letting go and the chains flopping all over the place.

I measured the width and cut all the chain and proceeded to create a traditional ladder setup at every 3 link (generally called dual ladder).

My comments are:
Ride was much smoother,
never in 4 years have lost or broken any link/attachment
Traction was actually superior.

Since I'm retired I had the time available but would convert again in a flash.
My conversion probably cast $40-50 in links and additional studded cross sections but in my opinion wery well worth the efforts.

I have plowed on hard blue ice, like after a heavy thaw, and never had any problems with traction, even on my hilly drive.

At first I had the crosses at every 5th link and found that I'd get a 'slip then grab' kinda traction as well as a very bumpy ride.
Going to every 3d link made traction and ride just like day and night. No slip/grab as there was always one cross chain in contact with the surface. In fact hardly even marks the paved section of my drive.