Another Chain Question

/ Another Chain Question #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
Here are the chains I've got right now, there are large voids where the chains don't contact the ground. Is there an easy way to add in more chain to fill the voids? Is it possible to run a cross link diameter wise around the tire to make the chain more like a diamond chain?

001.jpg

Try not to drool over my custom seat cover :D

/ Another Chain Question #2  
Actually, I'm drooling over that custom counterweight!!! :D

/ Another Chain Question
   / Another Chain Question #4  
You're probably getting a "hopping" action when the wheels spin ? No problem to add more chain, all you need to do is buy a bunch of twist link chain the same size as what the existing ones are made of, then break out the hacksaw or zip-cut and welder.

It'll take a while, but I'd say a day would do it easy. All I do when adding chain is cut one side, twist the link open with a couple adjustable wrenches, add length where it's needed, twist it back and give it a shot with the welder to seal 'er up. You might not even have to take them off to do it, just loosen them a bit. Those look pretty tight anyway, have you tried running them a little bit looser?

Chilly

/ Another Chain Question
Those look pretty tight anyway, have you tried running them a little bit looser?

Chilly

They are actually pretty loose, I can easily slip my fist in between the chain and the sidewall of the tire. Initially I thought more weight would be the answer but it was recommended to me to get rid of the large voids in the chain and that would cure my traction problem. I just need more go for backing up slopes. I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest ways to do it.

/ Another Chain Question #6  
If you're satisfied with the tension, which sounds about right from what I know, then adding more chain will probably be the easiest way to get better results.
I think my Kubota is quite a bit lighter than your machine, so weight shouldn't be a huge factor.

From the looks of the way the cross chains are attached to the side chains, you may want to move them closer together a link to get enough room to add more cross chains.

Another option, and one worth looking at, is offering the old chains for sale. They should go pretty quick this time of year. Invest what you get from them towards a new set of ice chains. I think when you figure in the difference between buying more chain and your time adding them, it might be worth it.

Used chains in good shape (yours look pretty good) are selling for almost the price of new ones here.

Chilly

/ Another Chain Question
Has anyone ever tried these Aquiline Talon Studded chains?

FarmStudded_Silo.jpg

Are they pretty good?

/ Another Chain Question #8  
   / Another Chain Question
They look pretty close to what I have, mine are made by Norse. According to the dealer I got mine from, Norse has a new design out with square studs, mine are the older round style, with 8 mm chain diameter.

New Norse Super Tractor Studded Ice Chains - Halifax Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Halifax The last picture of the chain spread out is what I have.

If they're anything like the Norse ones, it's a good quality chain.

Chilly

Those chains look great but I'm struggling to find a dealer for them, I've emailed Norse several times and they don't respond. The Talons are sold by the two local tractor dealers so they are easy to find.

/ Another Chain Question #10  
I know what you mean, I had a hard time finding any info on Norse other than what I got from the dealer (Nova International). I blame it on them being a European company with a comfortable market share in the logging industry. I suspect the folks at Nova would be willing to sell to you, but the shipping cost would be horrendous.
Good chance your local dealers have a good quality product as well, they'd be foolish not to.

If you do go with something like that, I think you'll see quite a difference in traction. The studs really bite on ice and frozen ground. May be tough on pavement though.

Chilly