How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter

/ How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter #11  
i guess i need to read my owners manual a little better. I swore it said to change both oil and filter together.

What does that have to do with the poster asking how much hyd oil is going to pour out onto the ground when you unscrew a hyd filter.

I change my oil and filter together.. but when i unscrew that '1 gallon paint can' some oil sure does pour out.. and I have to hav ethe newspaper and shop rags ready or it's a mess..

soundguy

/ How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter #12  
There was a post on here awhile back about this.

Simple answer...put a shop vac over the fill port. Creates a vacuum and you don't lose any.
How much do you loose to the ShopVac?

/ How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter #13  
considering most hyd sumps have a huge air volume and a vent in them I can't imagine loosing any to the shop vac.. IE.. it's just keeping enough of a vacume to keep static oil from running out an open port lower than the sump. I've heard of using a shop vac in other forums.. so it isn't a new idea.. and obviously some people are getting use out of it..

soundguy

/ How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter #14  
the manual for my kubota b3200 tells you to drain all the oil prior to changing the filter. they never mention putting the used fluid back in the tractor. one other confusing thing with my tractor, is that it has 2 hydraulic filters with different part numbers. is one high pressure and one low pressure? they look to be the same size. if they are different it would be quite easy to get them mixed up when putting on tractor as manual isn't very specific.

/ How much Hydraulic Fluid do You Lose Changing Filter #15