log spliter doesnt start

/ log spliter doesnt start #22  
You have had many good answers. One I would like to add for the consideration of everyone is poor compression caused by sticky valves.

The springs have to return the valves to closed. Sometimes on some engines, if the compression is not good, and you are going to consider it ruined, there is no harm in opening up the part of the engine that houses the tappets and the springs. I have worked for a few engines for friends that had the following problem:

Oil sludge, gunk, and perhaps a bit of carbon accumulated on the lubricated components of the valves, and was seizing them when cold. I clean, scrape, soak, and lube the area, and it often will start right up.

All I am saying is don't automatically assume the problem is rings, or burnt valves if there is a compression problem. Sometimes it can be a valve that is not moving properly.

/ log spliter doesnt start #23  
Iwonder if anyone ever tryed a plugin heat tape around the intake hydraulic line to the pump?It seems it might help on the real cold starts having the fluid in that hose hot.Just thinkin out loud.
ALAN

/ log spliter doesnt start
got it running, think it was what ee bota said there was a pipe from carb to were choke area was going to another box behind was valve springs the springs looked clean the box, think it air? was dirty couldnt clean inside was sealed unit so i soked in kerosine blew out good put back together and starter 5 pulls, tu all so much u saved me 350 for a new engine.

/ log spliter doesnt start #25  
Some have suggested either a hotter or colder spark plug. I'm a little confused on this. My understanding about the temp rating of a plug is it's ability to absorb more or less heat from the combustion chamber. How this would help with cold starting is beyond me.

I had to research this when my last boat was having issues with run-on and we were looking for ways to decrease combustion chamber temps.

/ log spliter doesnt start #26  
the heat range of the plug won't directly effect cold starting. What it can effect is fouling.. a colder plug that fouls either from a lil oil or gas on hard starts can be swapped to a hotter plug that will burn some of that off a lil better once you get her going.. making subsequent starts a little easier, if there were fouling problems.. if there are no fouling problems.. heat range won't effect hard starting cold.

soundguy