Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #1  

tommcintire

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310
Was wondering about people's thoughts on grapple rakes versus grapple buckets for moving brush. I would think the rake would be the "ideal" for the task, but how well does a bucket do?

My dilemma is that I can get a rake for about $2000 for my tractor, but a bucket will "only" be about $1200. $800 is nothing to sneeze at, but if it isn't going to do the job I want it to do, it isn't worth it.

The backstory:

I've got about 1/4 acre I have cleared so far of dense growth that is anywhere from 1 - 3 inches in diameter, and about 30 feet tall. It is all piled in the edge of the field. Tractor goes in today for aux hydraulics on front, and I have a rental grapple rake lined up for when I need it, but with the price of rental, in 8 weekends, I can buy a grapple rake.

Thoughts?

-Tom

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #2  
with a bucket you end up picking up a lot of dirt vs. a rake. I have my rake for when I want to move brush...and a bucket for moving dirt...and a QA so changing them out takes just a minute - literally.

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #3  
You can get a Markham LD-48 for right about $1000...

Do a search for "Markham", then call Mellisa and get a quote.

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #4  
I have both and the root grapple is superior for brush cleanup....Mike

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush
You can get a Markham LD-48 for right about $1000...

Do a search for "Markham", then call Mellisa and get a quote.

Thanks... They are the manufacturer I was already thinking of going with. In the past, I had quoted a 72 inch heavy duty grapple. Obviously there is a difference, but I am thinking the 48 or 60 inch light duty might be the ticket for my tractor.

Any thoughts on "how wide is right" for a tractor? My NH 2310 has a 72 inch bucket, and is rated for about 1 ton at the pins for lift power. I know this to be roughly right, as I have unloaded 1 ton pallets of bedding pellets with it, and I can handle them, but just barely...

-Tom

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #6  
Thanks... They are the manufacturer I was already thinking of going with. In the past, I had quoted a 72 inch heavy duty grapple. Obviously there is a difference, but I am thinking the 48 or 60 inch light duty might be the ticket for my tractor.

Any thoughts on "how wide is right" for a tractor? My NH 2310 has a 72 inch bucket, and is rated for about 1 ton at the pins for lift power. I know this to be roughly right, as I have unloaded 1 ton pallets of bedding pellets with it, and I can handle them, but just barely...

-Tom
tommcintire

You should only go as wide as your front wheels with a grapple, Do not go as wide as your bucket.

Also have you checked ANBO Grapple company top of the line and twice as strong as regular steel but half the weight. Here is the link ,I am very pleased with mine . About Anbo Grapples

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #7  

-Tom

Do some searching of IslandTractor's posts, he swears 48" is all anyone needs...I certainly would not go bigger than the 60"

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #8  
By all means, get a 48" Markham. If your lift capacity is about 2000 lbs., I would beef up the light duty and have them make it with 1/2" steel which only costs a little more and gives more strength, although the standard light duty is still very strong. I have one on my 70 horse Kubota and it works unbelievably well in clearing trees like you describe. It's simply my favorite implement. I ordered mine and had it custom made and delivered in only one week. I agree, Island Tractor has many posts about these grapples and he is the guru of knowledge.

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. As always, this board is a wealth of knowledge.

I am thinking I could use this to continue my "tree removal project" as well, which is where all the existing brush piles came from. What is complete to date was accomplished by using the bucket to knock down trees (30 feet tall, 1 - 2 inches diameter, for the most part) and pushing them into piles at the edge of the field. I stopped, as I couldn't handle the brush anymore. Pushing it with the bucket just wasn't working...

Thanks also for the tip on the upgraded tines. It is about $200 extra, from talking to Melissa.

-Tom

/ Grapple Rake versus Grapple Bucket for handling brush #10  
Here is a pic of the Markham 60" med duty grapple made with 1/2" steel. It was $1276.00 shipped and it weighs around 500lbs....my tractor has about the same lift capacity as yours and you could get by with the cheaper light duty one if you wanted....its made with 3/8" steel and about 75lbs lighter......Mike

Attachments

• 0129001145.jpg
    0129001145.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • 0129001203a.jpg
    0129001203a.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,266