Earth Force

/ Earth Force #1  

GE222

Gold Member
I ran across several post that discussed the Earth Force tractors. Out of curiosity, I tried to find their web site. I couldn't get there.:confused:

I would like to see some pics if anyone has any.

Thank you in advance!

/ Earth Force #2  
Do a search for EF5 and MChalkley. He own(s)ed one and thought they were wonderful. If memory is correct :)() EF is/was a european machine which was bought by IR/bobcat and renamed the BL- series. They have been dropped from the lineup and I don't know if anyone is still actually manufacturing them.

/ Earth Force #3  
I got one from earth force, the company was sold to IR and then was sold through BobCat. so when i buy parts for repair it come from them, this small backhoe in this picture is no longer made, it now is larger with more HP and hydraulic power.

100_0107_0001.jpg

/ Earth Force #4  
Previous poster was correct. Bought out by IR, cheapened up by going from 4 wheel steer to 2wheel steer on the smaller machines as well as cheaper non self leveling loaders, then finally closed the factory making the machines orphans. It took over a month to get a set of filters for my B200 and at one time I was told I was going to have to order a minimum qty of 10 (@$120 each !), because they were special order.

Now I am more concerned regarding spares for major assemblies like the axles. The hydro components can be repaired by several shops and the regular hydraulic system is simple enough. But lens covers for the instrument panel, hand brake cable (mine was broken) are basically not available and you have to do your own custom solution.

/ Earth Force #5  
I had to replace the main drive pump this year and had a verry hard time finding parts. and had to order from overseas. the cost of the new pump was 4000.00 and a rebuild kit was 2200.00 so i rebuild it and still waited 2 months for the parts. This is a verry good backhoe but i wish i had gotten a differant brand now. oh yea i also had to reapair a broken hydraulic cylinder and couldnt find an exact match from Bobcat so they had to build me one. so now im always worried about whats next.

/ Earth Force #6  
Owning these machines is a mixed bag. I think if you are not willing to work on and fix the machine yourself, you probably should not get one. Manuals are available on Ebay (for the Bobcat branded ones) for about $120.

What struck me about the Bobcat manual is that the whole thing was very dumbed down with almost no information describing how a system worked, and without a bunch of diagnostic info on how to isolate a problem before tearing the whole thing apart. The manual pretty much explains how to assemble and disassemble components and thats it.

It seems that every owner at some time or another is going to have trouble with the hydrostatic transmission safety circuit, which is a switch on the dash, a bunch of relays and a hydraulic solenoid valve that disables transmission operation. From reading here, it seems that only myself and 1 other person got the safety circuit working when it went on the blink and it appears everyone else has done (potentially unneeded) very expensive repairs to the hydrostatic drive. The first thing I would recommend for any new owner to do is set up a "manual override" for the safety circuit or even bypass (disconnect) the safety solenoid completely. Its only purpose on life is to prevent you from starting the machine with your foot on the hydro pedal and I doubt anyone would do that twice without the safety circuit.

Other than that, it is pretty much normal maintenance. It is a metric machine, so if a cylinder needs the seals replaced, provided you have a digital caliper and a little gumption, one can figure out where to get all the seals and wearbands. Hoses can be had at the local hydraulics store if you bring in the busted one.

Because of the service and maintenance issues, most business people would not own one of these machines and that is the reason why ordinary people can get a late model machine with low hours for $12-15k, that originally sold for 3-4x the price. I'm pretty sure mine will still be doing useful work long after I am gone.

Attachments

• Bobcat_B200.JPG
    Bobcat_B200.JPG
    816.5 KB · Views: 2,586
Last edited by a moderator:
   / Earth Force
Thanks 8404 for the picture, and everyone else for their replies.
I was not going to get one as I already have enough tractors, (yeah right, is there such a thing!).

The post I had read highly praised them. They sounded like a really nice machine which got my curiosity stirred. I will check the web address.

It is unfortunate that often time some of the nicest machines (not just tractors) with the neatest features get bought up by big manufactures, get cheapened, or eliminated all in the name of greed and profits.

/ Earth Force #8  
Owning these machines is a mixed bag. I think if you are not willing to work on and fix the machine yourself, you probably should not get one. Manuals are available on Ebay (for the Bobcat branded ones) for about $120.

What struck me about the Bobcat manual is that the whole thing was very dumbed down with almost no information describing how a system worked, and without a bunch of diagnostic info on how to isolate a problem before tearing the whole thing apart. The manual pretty much explains how to assemble and disassemble components and thats it.

It seems that every owner at some time or another is going to have trouble with the hydrostatic transmission safety circuit, which is a switch on the dash, a bunch of relays and a hydraulic solenoid valve that disables transmission operation. From reading here, it seems that only myself and 1 other person got the safety circuit working when it went on the blink and it appears everyone else has done (potentially unneeded) very expensive repairs to the hydrostatic drive. The first thing I would recommend for any new owner to do is set up a "manual override" for the safety circuit or even bypass (disconnect) the safety solenoid completely. Its only purpose on life is to prevent you from starting the machine with your foot on the hydro pedal and I doubt anyone would do that twice without the safety circuit.

Other than that, it is pretty much normal maintenance. It is a metric machine, so if a cylinder needs the seals replaced, provided you have a digital caliper and a little gumption, one can figure out where to get all the seals and wearbands. Hoses can be had at the local hydraulics store if you bring in the busted one.

Because of the service and maintenance issues, most business people would not own one of these machines and that is the reason why ordinary people can get a late model machine with low hours for $12-15k, that originally sold for 3-4x the price. I'm pretty sure mine will still be doing useful work long after I am gone.

I sure wish i could have talked to you back when i was having pump problems. even now two years after the pump replacement im not shure if the problem wasnt a falty safty circuit, the people that worked on it said that they sent the pump off to have it tested and it failed.

Is this Bobcat B200 a 4x4 ? The only complant i had with my Earth Force was it needed to be a 4x4.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Earth Force #9  
The B100 was the only model that was 2wd. All others 4wd. The EF2 was 4 wheel steer too, but Bobcat made the B200 front wheel steer only. I have to say that the 4 wheel steer make a big difference to maneuvering and also helps reduce damage on turf. Don't crank the wheel when stationary !

Personally, the biggest issue with mine is that it is so slow. It will climb a slope so steep that it could flip over, but tops out at walking speed. When pushing snow in my subdivision (only if we have a massive dump and ordinary cars can no longer get in or out) it takes forever. It would be nice to have a second speed range when working with light loads or just moving from A to B.

/ Earth Force #10  

I think if it were me I would do a lttle research in my spare time to see what other places I could get parts for this unit. I would give Commercial Shearing a shot for the pumps and motors, Motion Industries for replacement seals and cylinder packing. I wouldn't think you would have to look farther than Memphis to get most of what you need. Some of the oddball pieces may not be available at all. You may need to learn welding and machine shop techniques too.