help figuring out hydraulic joystick

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
first time loader user here...just got a 553 loader on my JD 5105. I bought the tractor in 05 with the hydraulics already plumbed and just now added the loader.

I can't get the loader to perform both functions at once, in other words, can't lift and curl at the same time.

No big deal, just wondering if this is normal with ag tractor loaders or is this a john deere aspect, or is it something I can improve upon? Thanks.

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #2  
It should do it just fine...Might need to raise the RPM's A little more to get more flow going,

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #3  
Don't know about other tractors but my Kubota won't do full lift and full curl at the same time. It's one or the other. I can feather the joystick and curl and lift at the same time. Once I got the hang of it, it matters not.

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #4  
Can you put it into a 45 degree position ? IE; 1:30 O'clock position ?

If so, try feathering away from the easier flowing piston/ram.

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick
thanks guys, Ill try that. also, Will, I'd love to fab up a set of brush grapples like yours - did you buy your JD hooks and pins or make them? (in your avatar)

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #6  
I bought them, making them exceeded my level of laziness.

More pics in that photobucket link.

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #7  
KennyD hit the most important aspect...you need some RPMs to boost hydraulic pressure.
You may not be able to simultaneously lift and curl but with practice you will make the best of what the tractor can do. Moving the stick between lift and curl so you do a little of both (intermittently) works for me. It'll take a little hand/eye/foot coordination (using the foot throttle to boost engine speed, hence hydraulic pressure, as you lift). Don't expect to be an expert right of the bat. It takes "doing" to get the hang of it.
After a bit, you'll learn to lift,curl and shift the transmission (to back away) quite quickly.
Just remember you get your maximum lifting capacity down low...and keep that loader low when the bucket is full (keep the center of gravity as low as possible). Also, proper ballast on the 3PH is essential for using your loader.
One more: if your steering feels sluggish with the bucket full, you need more pressure in the front tires. Running low tire pressure when using the loader can result in those tires breaking the bead.

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick
I bought them, making them exceeded my level of laziness.

More pics in that photobucket link.

Will, where might I buy that setup? Looks like you might have bought the plate then added the rest? I'd love to do that!

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #9  
Could the work ports be jetted so that they would work together??????

/ help figuring out hydraulic joystick #10  
Could the work ports be jetted so that they would work together??????

It's not quite that easy. It could be done, but the pump complexity and price would increase dramatically. Also, there's a finite amount of hydraulic fluid in the system to do the work...any way that fluid is diverted takes away from another task.
Good thought though!