Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #12  
I have a MF 3e. It is an industrial TLB 49hp. It has a shuttle shift. No manual clutch at all. 4 speed transmission.
Brakes on the left. Two pedals on the right one pedal is forward , the other is reverse. The further you step on the pedal the faster you go. Electro mechanical wet clutches integrel with the transmission. If you step on both pedals at the same time you get rpm increase and no motion. Works great for FEL . There is a hand throttle for the hoe.

I have a question, you say that your MF 30E is a shuttle shift, ( usually a forward, reverse lever) and yet you have two peddles on the floor for F & R. If indeed this is the case, what is the actual purpose of the shifter? :confused::confused: :eek:

Last edited:
   / Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #13  
That description sure sounds like a hydrostatic transmission to me...I have never heard of a infinitely variable shuttle shift before:confused:

I have an HST on another tractor. This is not that. Maybe I said it wrong.
When you step on the pedal it first picks a solenoid that engages the wet clutch for direction and as you push the pedal further the engine rpm increases by a mechanical link to the injection pump.

The shifter gives 4 different speeds . They must be sycro because I can shift on the move if I let off the pedal . That drops the clutch.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'
thanks guys very helpful as usual
JG

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #15  
There are enough different types of "shuttle shift" to drive you crazy.

You got that right. You pretty much have to look at what the maker
means when they use a trade name for a tranny type.

Just within the Kubota brand, I believe their big daddy tractor back in the
70s, the L355SS, used the term "shuttle shift", and I suspect that it
was unsynchronized. My L2550 had a FWD/REV shuttle control on the
column, too, and it was not synchronized. I suspect that your L3400 has
a synchronized shuttle control. All require clutching before shifting.

Kubota's GST (Glide Shift Trans) came out about 1990 and was a totally
different beast where the FWD/REV shuttle control did NOT require
clutching.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #16  
While there are many types of transmissions and clutching conditions, does not the term shuttle shift really indicate that some sort of lever has to be moved in order to change directions, Regardless of if you have to clutch or not or stop or not, you still have to move a lever of some sort to change direction. How many gears (speeds) forward that you have, you have the same amount in reverse. I believe that any tractor that has this lever (Johnson bar for old timers) would be considered a shuttle shift transmission.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #17  
While there are many types of transmissions and clutching conditions, does not the term shuttle shift really indicate that some sort of lever has to be moved in order to change directions, Regardless of if you have to clutch or not or stop or not, you still have to move a lever of some sort to change direction.

I think that if you are using the term "shuttle shift", uncapitalized, that
makes sense. However, if it is a trade name, "Shuttle Shift", the maker
can mean different things. Same with other terms that may or may not
be generic, like "Power Shift", "Power Shuttle", etc.

Even less precise is the term "Gear" transmission.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #18  
I have a JD 3520 with the Power Reverser transmission I chose mostly for loader work and trimming hedges, both requiring numerous shifts from forward to reverse and back. The small orange lever (red arrow) allows you to switch from one to the other with a flip of the left hand without ever using the clutch. It uses a separate automatic hydraulic clutch (picture 2). And you can choose what you want from the 12 gears either forward or reverse (but cannot shift gears without clutching, which is very sedom necessary).

Attachments

• DSCF2016 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF2016 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    700.6 KB · Views: 1,028
  • MP35205________UN07OCT04 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].jpg
    MP35205________UN07OCT04 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,315
   / Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #19  
Hey Jeff,

We've got both a Hydro and a shuttle shift, when I am doing a lot of close in loader working or a lot of front and back work I prefer the Hydro for the close in work. The Hydro is easier to control when I am working up close to things. I really enjoy the T2220 Hydro when I am doing loader work.

With the winter time I've been using the DX60 with the shuttle shift more. I'm still nervous getting close up to things its a little more work. On the DX60 I've got a high, mid, low range down beside the seat, on the right side of the dash I have a H pattern 1-4 gear shifter, on the left side of the dash I have a forward-reverse lever.

To select my H-M-L range or my 1-4 gears I have to use the clutch, but then I let the clutch out and then just use the lever to go forward or backward. The shuttle shift is very smooth in start ups, you can hit forward to reverse on the go also, the tractor slows down and then just takes off the other direction very smoothly.

It's nice to spend the afternoon moving snow and never having to do any clutch work. Also for cultivating it is nice using the Shuttle shift and not having to press a pedal for speed all day long. Hope this helps.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #20  
While there are many types of transmissions and clutching conditions, does not the term shuttle shift really indicate that some sort of lever has to be moved in order to change directions, Regardless of if you have to clutch or not or stop or not, you still have to move a lever of some sort to change direction. How many gears (speeds) forward that you have, you have the same amount in reverse. I believe that any tractor that has this lever (Johnson bar for old timers) would be considered a shuttle shift transmission.

Like my MF390..manual trans with 12F/12R and a mechanical shuttle that requires clutching.