Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2550GT

Default Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'

I'm a bit confused about the different transmissions that have names like 'shuttle shift' and other similar names.

Basically, do these allow to shift from forward to reverse without using the clutch? Why doesn't this grind the tranny? Are there different types with different capabilties?

I'll need to do a lot of back and forth with what I buy, but if I don't have to get a hydro, maybe I won't.

Is shuttle shift good for back and forth FEL work?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

JG

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Default Re: Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'

Shuttle shift does indeed allow you to go from forward to reverse in whatever gear you're using. It generally does require the use of clutch. The big advantage is that you then have multiple reverse speeds as compared to other models that may have 1 - 4 forward + reverse. (I'm thinking 9N here). This is good for loader work - however I've found hydraulic drive to be far better.
    Mike

"As you go through life, make this your goal: watch the donut, not the hole"

Kubota B7800
    BH-75A Backhoe
    Rhino 60'' finish mower

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgreef View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the different transmissions that have names like 'shuttle shift' and other similar names.

Basically, do these allow to shift from forward to reverse without using the clutch? Why doesn't this grind the tranny? Are there different types with different capabilties?

I'll need to do a lot of back and forth with what I buy, but if I don't have to get a hydro, maybe I won't.

JG

Powershuttle does not require the use of the clutch when switching from forward and reverse. It is the way to go, if you are constantly changing directions.

Sync shuttle requires the clutch.

I say go Powershuttle. You choose the range, gear, and then you just shuttle all day long. You also have multiple reverse gears, in our case 12F, 12R.

Keep us posted.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

shuttle shift does allow back and forth shifting without using the foot clutch and so is very conducive to loader work. There IS a clutch, but it is moved electronically, which is why there gears don't grind. There's usually a column shifter that you use to toggle direction after selecting what gear you want to be in. I also believe you can shift gears "on the fly" without using the foot clutch. (Someone jump in if I'm incorrect on this, I don't have a shuttle shift myself). kubota's model is the GST and it's about the same price as an HST. Kind of getting the good qualities of a gear (more hp to ground), along with the good qualities of an HST (quick and easy back and forth movement). What it doesn't give you is the infinitley variable speed of an HST.
    Experience is something you get right after you need it!

Kubota L2500 DT w/ 5 foot FEL and Pat's easy change system
    5ft box blade, 5ft bushhog, 6ft york rake w/ guage wheels, 7ft backblade w/skid shoes , post hole digger, 5 foot snowblower, dual axel 16 foot landscape trailer, 330 gal water tank, Ford 250 diesel, 6 wheel drive polaris ranger, bale spears for loader

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgreef View Post

JG
    On my kubota the shuttle shift lets me go from forward to reverse smoothly with out using the clutch ( takes some getting used too ). I am told this is accomplished with electrically actuated wet clutches, which SHOULD mean long life of all the clutches.
    I have done a lot of grading & FEL work with it and am very happy so far.

E/S

2009 Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
    LA1353 FEL w/ 7' Bucket & Pallet Forks
    McMillen X1475 Earth Auger w/ 9", 18" & 24" augers - Land Pride RCR3596 Rotary Cutter
    Gearmore 4G4 Series 7' Box Scraper w/ hydraulic rippers

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

There are a lot of shuttle shift transmissions that you must use the clutch when ever you are shifting F-R, up or down. I would guess that it is usually a higher end option that gets you a shuttle shift trans that does not require manually engaging the clutch.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's, MF 30 TLB

I have a MF 3e. It is an industrial TLB 49hp. It has a shuttle shift. No manual clutch at all. 4 speed transmission.
    Brakes on the left. Two pedals on the right one pedal is forward , the other is reverse. The further you step on the pedal the faster you go. Electro mechanical wet clutches integrel with the transmission. If you step on both pedals at the same time you get rpm increase and no motion. Works great for FEL . There is a hand throttle for the hoe.
    Bob H
    NH 2007 TC34DA 1985 MF30E Hoe

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

There are enough different types of "shuttle shift" to drive you crazy.

Mine has a 4 speed transmission with the typical "H" shift pattern, plus a "shuttle shift" that lets you select either Hi or Lo range forward, or reverse, for a total of 8 speeds ahead and 4 in reverse. All require use of the clutch when changing. Low range ahead and reverse are opposite each other, it makes for easy shifting back and forth.

I find the shuttle I have works fine for loader work, I use 2 or 3 in low range for heavier stuff like soil, and 4 in low range for snow. 1 is good for delicate stuff (small movements), while high range is used for either transport (3 or 4), or bush-hogging (usually 2 or 3 high).

Chilly

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Shuttle shift or Syncro shuttle usually needs the clutch to forward/reverse
    Power shift or Glide shift usually means you can forward/reverse without clutching.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Quote Originally Posted by 6sunset6 View Post
    I have a MF 3e. It is an industrial TLB 49hp. It has a shuttle shift. No manual clutch at all. 4 speed transmission.
    Brakes on the left. Two pedals on the right one pedal is forward , the other is reverse. The further you step on the pedal the faster you go. Electro mechanical wet clutches integrel with the transmission. If you step on both pedals at the same time you get rpm increase and no motion. Works great for FEL . There is a hand throttle for the hoe.
    That description sure sounds like a hydrostatic transmission to me...I have never heard of a infinitely variable shuttle shift before
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast