Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
I'm a bit confused about the different transmissions that have names like 'shuttle shift' and other similar names.

Basically, do these allow to shift from forward to reverse without using the clutch? Why doesn't this grind the tranny? Are there different types with different capabilties?

I'll need to do a lot of back and forth with what I buy, but if I don't have to get a hydro, maybe I won't.

Is shuttle shift good for back and forth FEL work?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

JG

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #2  
Shuttle shift does indeed allow you to go from forward to reverse in whatever gear you're using. It generally does require the use of clutch. The big advantage is that you then have multiple reverse speeds as compared to other models that may have 1 - 4 forward + reverse. (I'm thinking 9N here). This is good for loader work - however I've found hydraulic drive to be far better.
Mike

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #3  
I'm a bit confused about the different transmissions that have names like 'shuttle shift' and other similar names.

Basically, do these allow to shift from forward to reverse without using the clutch? Why doesn't this grind the tranny? Are there different types with different capabilties?

I'll need to do a lot of back and forth with what I buy, but if I don't have to get a hydro, maybe I won't.

JG

Powershuttle does not require the use of the clutch when switching from forward and reverse. It is the way to go, if you are constantly changing directions.

Sync shuttle requires the clutch.

I say go Powershuttle. You choose the range, gear, and then you just shuttle all day long. You also have multiple reverse gears, in our case 12F, 12R.

Keep us posted.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #4  
shuttle shift does allow back and forth shifting without using the foot clutch and so is very conducive to loader work. There IS a clutch, but it is moved electronically, which is why there gears don't grind. There's usually a column shifter that you use to toggle direction after selecting what gear you want to be in. I also believe you can shift gears "on the fly" without using the foot clutch. (Someone jump in if I'm incorrect on this, I don't have a shuttle shift myself). Kubota's model is the GST and it's about the same price as an HST. Kind of getting the good qualities of a gear (more hp to ground), along with the good qualities of an HST (quick and easy back and forth movement). What it doesn't give you is the infinitley variable speed of an HST.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #5  

JG

On my Kubota the shuttle shift lets me go from forward to reverse smoothly with out using the clutch ( takes some getting used too ). I am told this is accomplished with electrically actuated wet clutches, which SHOULD mean long life of all the clutches.
I have done a lot of grading & FEL work with it and am very happy so far.

E/S

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #6  
There are a lot of shuttle shift transmissions that you must use the clutch when ever you are shifting F-R, up or down. I would guess that it is usually a higher end option that gets you a shuttle shift trans that does not require manually engaging the clutch.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #7  
I have a MF 3e. It is an industrial TLB 49hp. It has a shuttle shift. No manual clutch at all. 4 speed transmission.
Brakes on the left. Two pedals on the right one pedal is forward , the other is reverse. The further you step on the pedal the faster you go. Electro mechanical wet clutches integrel with the transmission. If you step on both pedals at the same time you get rpm increase and no motion. Works great for FEL . There is a hand throttle for the hoe.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #8  
There are enough different types of "shuttle shift" to drive you crazy.

Mine has a 4 speed transmission with the typical "H" shift pattern, plus a "shuttle shift" that lets you select either Hi or Lo range forward, or reverse, for a total of 8 speeds ahead and 4 in reverse. All require use of the clutch when changing. Low range ahead and reverse are opposite each other, it makes for easy shifting back and forth.

I find the shuttle I have works fine for loader work, I use 2 or 3 in low range for heavier stuff like soil, and 4 in low range for snow. 1 is good for delicate stuff (small movements), while high range is used for either transport (3 or 4), or bush-hogging (usually 2 or 3 high).

Chilly

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #9  
Shuttle shift or Syncro shuttle usually needs the clutch to forward/reverse
Power shift or Glide shift usually means you can forward/reverse without clutching.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #10  
I have a MF 3e. It is an industrial TLB 49hp. It has a shuttle shift. No manual clutch at all. 4 speed transmission.
Brakes on the left. Two pedals on the right one pedal is forward , the other is reverse. The further you step on the pedal the faster you go. Electro mechanical wet clutches integrel with the transmission. If you step on both pedals at the same time you get rpm increase and no motion. Works great for FEL . There is a hand throttle for the hoe.

That description sure sounds like a hydrostatic transmission to me...I have never heard of a infinitely variable shuttle shift before:confused: