Default Vertical Shaft Diesel engine?

I have a newish Cub Cadet lawn tractor (the cheap $1500-$2000 Loews type's) that I would love to make diesel. It currently has a wonderfully smooth 15hp Kawasaki V-Twin. If it were diesel I think it could do the same job with less HP considering it would have so much more torque. So basically, who made a vertical shaft diesel engine. I would need to buy used so new stuff is probably out of my budget. Thanks guys.

Tractor
    Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S

Default Re: Vertical Shaft Diesel engine?

Yanmar makes one. I think it is 17HP. I don't. Know the price, but likely a couple thousand. I used to see some of them on eBay, but haven't lately.

You'd probably be better off selling your current unit, and buying a used kubota or JD diesel garden tractor. There have been several good threads on here about desiel garden tractors.

I have a mid 90's Kubota G1800 with 16HP 3 cyl desiel and a 48" deck ( availible with 48, 54, 60 inch decks). The G1900 is the same with 18HP.

J
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.
    '9? G1800S, 48" MMM. 70's Troy Bilt Horse tiller with new 6.5HP briggs engine.

The means justify the ends.

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    I have a newish Cub Cadet lawn tractor (the cheap $1500-$2000 Loews type's) that I would love to make diesel. It currently has a wonderfully smooth 15hp Kawasaki V-Twin. If it were diesel I think it could do the same job with less HP considering it would have so much more torque. So basically, who made a vertical shaft diesel engine. I would need to buy used so new stuff is probably out of my budget. Thanks guys.
    Yes more torque and lower revs, but therein lies another problem i think. You need high blade speed to actually cut grass, plus enough revs to drive the back wheels at an acceptable speed. So you'd have to solve those problems too. Perhaps its just a matter of changing the pulley sizes and belts but its yet another cost to consider. You'd have to be cutting a lot of grass to justify ditching what you say is a wonderfully smooth donk.

TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would keep what you have and wear it out, next time buy a better one. That is what I am going to do anyway.

I know you can get small engine diesels that run at 3600 RPM's juts like gas. My Lombardini is a 2800RPM engine but I can crank it up to 3600. Sounds like a vertical shaft diesel won't work.