Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #21  
did you read the rest of the info though.. lots of difference in a car engine and your old tractor.. rpm.. and comp ratio.. etc..

short answer.. the old ford needs no addatives for the valves...

soundguy

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #22  
Lead was last used over a decade ago? Over 2 decades ago?

Your tractor has seen a lot of lead-free gas....

No additive is needed.

Even if it were - and it is not - if you just save the money you would waste on additives you could easily do a valve job in 5-10 years and the seats get replaced anyhow. You'd be money ahead not doing the additive and just saving for the valve job.

But it's not needed to begin with.

Now, how about the new oil???? They took out an additive that helps camshafts/tappits without rollers. That's much more serious to our old engines than the lead in gas issue....

--->Paul

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #23  
Now, how about the new oil???? They took out an additive that helps camshafts/tappits without rollers. That's much more serious to our old engines than the lead in gas issue....

--->Paul

That's also debatable. But let's skip the debate and give an answer. Use an oil with an API rating of CH-4 or LOWER. Avoid oils with CJ-4 or only S- ratings.

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #24  
It's wiki.. but here's a good explanation of TEL, ping/spark knock, octane and hard valve seats.

Tetra-ethyl lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

soundguy

Yep, I read that, thanks for the info :)

If I remember correctly when I bought the lead additive it said on the bottle it was an octane boost AND lubricant{????} Next time I'm at the auto store I'll check it out. There are many sites that write about leaded gas, from what I've read they pretty much say the same thing. It was/is used for octane boost AND on the weaker valves a lubricant.

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #25  
Lead was last used over a decade ago? Over 2 decades ago?

--->Paul

Not completely true some places still have it, something like 6% is still out there. I can't remember which country :)

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #26  
did you read the rest of the info though.. lots of difference in a car engine and your old tractor.. rpm.. and comp ratio.. etc..

short answer.. the old ford needs no addatives for the valves...

soundguy

My only point is that there is a reason that people "believe" lead was also useful for lubrication rather than to characterize them all as uninformed idiots.

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #27  
I never said anyone was an uninformed idiot.

They simply just don't need the addatives in their gas on that old ford... that's what this thread was about.

soundguy

/ Ford Jubilee Leaded vs Unleaded #28  
Tetraethyl lead was indeed used as an octane booster. It was developed by General Motors about the same time Ford was working on Benzol gasoline. Leaded gas hit the market in 1922 or 23. A side benefit of tetraethyl lead is it lubed the valves. In the 1970's when lead was phased out in most areas many CARS and LIGHT TRUCKS experienced exhaust valve failure. Its called exhaust valve recession. It was a real problem. It was more of a problem on vehicles that were driven hard. Ask me how I know :mad: The fix was to install hardened valve seats which Soundguy says the old Ford tractors came with anyway. You don't need additives for your Jubilee.