Should I title my new tractor?

/ Should I title my new tractor? #11  
Darren - "I had an axle "come out" once after an inspection when the mechanic forgot to install the pin that locked the axle nut on."

What kind of inspections do they do where you live? You mean they actually take things apart? The only place I've ever lived that required an inspection was Houston, TX. All they did was check the emissions and lights. They made a big deal out my license plate light not working, apparently they felt like they had to find something wrong or they weren't happy.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #12  
Danny, I would imagine that very few people have ever read the statute and instructions for performing the annual "vehicle safety inspection" in Texas (and I haven't kept up very well with the changes the last few years, except for the tremendous increase in the price), but the inspection procedure in the past gave the inspector 3 options for checking the brakes and one of them was to pull wheels and do a visual inspection of the wheel cylinders and brake linings. Personally, I never saw an inspection station do that; they just always drove the car and tested the brakes on a marked distance at a certain speed.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #13  
Bird - That's interesting because they never even drove my vehicle! Just lazy I guess. I do remember having trouble with emissions once and had to put in a new PCV valve and that took care of it. I'm sure glad Indiana doesn't do inspections, they're just another way for the gov't to make money in my opinion.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #14  
Don't get me started on Vehicle inspections!!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Here in Houston it has reached its all time worst!!!/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Not only do they do the stiffer in the tailpipe now if you car is older than I think 1999 model they put it on a dyno to do the sniffer test. And of course this new technique is not for free....it runs the cost through the roof. I can not wait until I get my new house built and get out of Houston and Harris County!!!!

Sorry...just venting!

/ Should I title my new tractor? #15  
Yep, you're lucky, Danny. Long, long ago the federal government "recommended" that all states have a safety inspection program, under threat of withholding highway funds, which were never withheld. So a lot of states have them, and the cost continues to rise. Out here in my rural county, it has only been costing me $12.50 per vehicle each year and they check all lights, dimmer switch (used to check headlight alignment, but quit that), windshield wiper, horn, brakes (drive down the road a hundred yards or so and back), pressure test the gas tank cap, and look under the hood to make sure no pollution control equipment has been disconnected. But in the 4 most populous counties, they do more emissions testing and I don't remember the price, but think it's been about $20 and last year went to near $40 and takes a lot more time since they have to run the vehicle on the dyno, as Brandon said. Maybe he remembers the price. And it's only going to get worse.

And you mentioned them not even driving your vehicle. Well, each inspection station (independently owned) has to post a bond, and if they get caught failing to properly inspect a vehicle, they can lose that bond. The DPS sometimes sends undercover troopers into the inspection stations in an old car to see whether they inspect it. However, if the inspection station is reasonably sure you're not the state inspector, well . . ., you know how that goes. I once had an RV dealership service manager get a new sticker out of a desk drawer and go out and put it on my motorhome without checking anything. And he'd never seen me before, so I was a bit surprised, but I had already inspected everything myself before taking it in and knew it would pass.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #16  
Anything Soundguy. It's the same for all farm policies. If it has a tag or a title then it's not covered under your farm policy. My flatbeds, horse trailer, stock trailer, etc. all have to be covered under my auto owners insurance. Same with the dump truck. Even though it's used exclusively for the farm it still has to have a separate policy. Basically just the tractors, combines, sprayers, implements, outbuildings, livestock and liablility are covered under the farm policy.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #17  
<font color=blue>"In Florida, we use the trailers 'origin' certificate to get our tags"</font color=blue>

Nothing special about Florida, Soundguy. The rest of the world does the same thing on any vehicle requiring a plate. The certificate to which you refer is known alternately as the 'Manufacturer's Statement of Origin' (MSO) or 'Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin' (C of O). They come with every new car, truck and trailer delivered for use on public roadways.

I have a franchise for a particular brand of trailers and get one with every new trailer assigned from the manufacturer to my company. When I sell a trailer I reassign it just like I would a vehicle title to the buyer who then takes it to the BMV to apply for his trailer title and get his plate and registration. IT works the same way with cars and trucks, also. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Should I title my new tractor? #18  
For some reason, lots of people down here are building vehicles and trailers.... I wonder what extra paperwork they have to fill out for that. Seems like every time i'm in the tag office, there is at least one other person titiling a homeade trailer, or doing someting with a new 'creted' vehicle...

Soundguy

/ Should I title my new tractor? #19  
Danny, that was when I had a vehicle titled in PA. Pa required removing one wheel from the front and back on opposite sides to check the brakes.

/ Should I title my new tractor? #20  
Soundguy, I don't know about other states, but in Texas you can walk into the tag office and tell them you want a license plate for a "homemade" trailer, pay the fee ($5.30 regardless of size if it's a "farm" trailer), get a "registration" receipt and the license plate; no title, no paperwork, etc.; just your name and address to go on the receipt.