Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #1  

robinbr

Tractor
Massey 461 FWD; Ford 4610; 1939 Farmall M; Kubota 2360
I just acquired a Ford 4610 3 cylinder diesel. This came our of an estate sale and has sit for approximately 1 year.

I find that it is extremely hard to start in temperatures <20 degrees F? Any suggestions or ideas? It will eventually start but takes too much cranking.

Thanks

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #2  
check to see if it's thermal start aid is hooked up and working.

post back.

soundguy

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel
Thanks, but what is thermal start and how do I determine if it is so equiped? I am not familiar with Fords, I was thinking maybe it was equipped with "glow plugs"; but cannoit determine that either?

Thanks again. It does appear to be thermal, because it did start easily back in the Fall when temperatures were considerablly warmer.

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #4  
thermal starting aids for tractors will vary by model and make... most are either glow plugs.. IE.. electric heaters, while some actually burn a small amount of fuel to warm the intake. of those.. many get their fuel via the return line from the injection pump.. etc.

check yer service manual. look at the manifold for plugs with wires on them.. etc.

soundguy

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #5  
All good posts above, but first I'd check the battery...you may not be cranking fast enough. This is easy...either charge the battery or jump it. If the ambient temperature is above 20°, it starts OK?? That's what I'm reading in the OP post.

After that, follow the instructions above...

BTW, after setting a year, the fuel may not be good.

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #6  
It is likely your 4610 has a cold start aid called 'thermostart'. Open the hood, feel the engine side of the intake manifold at the very front; just behind the air hose connection. If there is a fitting screwed into the manifold with an electrical connection and a 1/4" fuel line connected, you have thermostart. Prior to engaging the starter, turn the key past the ON position to a point where the dash lights go out, but the starter is not engaged. There is no detent in the switch for this position, but it is the pre-heat position. Hold the key there for 30-45 seconds, then crank her up.

Other suggestions about cranking speed are spot on, and if the engine is tired, low compression makes for poor cold starting, too. But not many Ford 3 cylinder diesels are real spry at 20 deg. A freeze plug style block heater is a very good option if you store the tractor near AC power.

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #7  
I just acquired a Ford 4610 3 cylinder diesel. This came our of an estate sale and has sit for approximately 1 year.

I find that it is extremely hard to start in temperatures <20 degrees F? Any suggestions or ideas? It will eventually start but takes too much cranking.

Thanks

Your tractor is doing well, andoperating very good if it starts in temps as low as 20 degrees.

You need to have a heater on it - if it came from cold area of the country likely already does - and plug it in for 1 to 2 hours to start it in cold weather. That is just normal for a bigger diesel in cold weather.

Some Fords had a button on thier in-line fuel pump that you pushed, worked kinda like a choke on a gas engine to fire them up in cold weather.

Some have a little drip line of diesel fiel that was ignited in the intake manifold to heat things up.

Some had an electric heater in the intake manifold to heat the air up.

Some have glow plugs.

Some didn't have anything.

You need to look at the age/serial number of your tractor & an accurate manual for that age tractor to figure out what type you have. Typically you turn the key backwards, or to a 'pause' stop right before the 'start' spot & hold it there for 4 to 30 seconds, depending on what setup you have.

You need good fresh battery & good connections.

You need a good starter.

Thinner winter oil, synthetic helps.

But - if you can get that babe to fire up in 20 degree F temps, you already got all that working for you!

Plug it in if it has a cord - tank heater, radiator hose heater, or frost plug heater. If it doesn't have any of those, install one. I dislike oil heaters, and I don't think magnetic heaters have enough oomph.

My big Ford tracotr is real cold blooded, under 40 degrees it needs heat. My Ford 5000 is getting tired, and needs either to fire it up below 35 - or plugged in. My 7700 does well to 25-30 degrees. The little 1720 will start at 10 degrees, sometimes even zero, but the battery started going down now - and that is _not_ good for it to fire it up cold like that.

--->Paul

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #8  
Your tractor is doing well, andoperating very good if it starts in temps as low as 20 degrees.

You need to have a heater on it - if it came from cold area of the country likely already does - and plug it in for 1 to 2 hours to start it in cold weather. That is just normal for a bigger diesel in cold weather.

Some Fords had a button on thier in-line fuel pump that you pushed, worked kinda like a choke on a gas engine to fire them up in cold weather.

Some have a little drip line of diesel fiel that was ignited in the intake manifold to heat things up.

Some had an electric heater in the intake manifold to heat the air up.

Some have glow plugs.

Some didn't have anything.

You need to look at the age/serial number of your tractor & an accurate manual for that age tractor to figure out what type you have. Typically you turn the key backwards, or to a 'pause' stop right before the 'start' spot & hold it there for 4 to 30 seconds, depending on what setup you have.

You need good fresh battery & good connections.

You need a good starter.

Thinner winter oil, synthetic helps.

But - if you can get that babe to fire up in 20 degree F temps, you already got all that working for you!

Plug it in if it has a cord - tank heater, radiator hose heater, or frost plug heater. If it doesn't have any of those, install one. I dislike oil heaters, and I don't think magnetic heaters have enough oomph.

My big Ford tracotr is real cold blooded, under 40 degrees it needs heat. My Ford 5000 is getting tired, and needs either to fire it up below 35 - or plugged in. My 7700 does well to 25-30 degrees. The little 1720 will start at 10 degrees, sometimes even zero, but the battery started going down now - and that is _not_ good for it to fire it up cold like that.

--->Paul

Not a single Ford 4610 left the factory with glow plugs, a manifold grid heater, or an inline Simms pump featuring an excess fuel button.

No 4610 manual will tell a Ford owner whether his particular tractor has Thermostart.

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #9  
I find that if I put the left hand gear shift in gear them turn the key to the start position for about 10 seconds, it start way easier, now I don't know what my 4610 has for starting aid but this helps for sure. AVOID either at all costs! It is very harmful

/ Ford 4610 -Hard-to-Start Diesel #10  
The "thermostart" on my 4600 failed sometime in in its prior life. The wiring is missing and the copper tube was cut and sealed. Where does the copper tube hook to and where does wiring connect?
Thanks