Books to teach new guys?

/ Books to teach new guys? #1  

Anonymous Poster

HI,

IN a previous post Rick Jay recommended the following book. I was fortunate to find it at the library...it is a good book. I would recommend it to others just like Rick did.

Rick said:

P.S. If you don't have much experience with loaders and backhoes (I had none!), I strongly recommend the book "Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe" by Gary J. Ober. It's really written for larger machines like Case 580's, but many of the topics, especially those regarding center-of-gravity are quite applicable to our smaller machines. I think the book is about $45 or so. ~R.

Another book I found is:

"Backhoe Loader Handbook"
Advanced techniques for operators
By Reiner Christian

This one for me was not as helpful, as I am such a newbee that I felt I needed more diagrams or illustrations to understand what the author was trying to convey. Maybe it will be easier to understand the second time around.
ISBN 0-924659-72-6

Are there any other good books that you guys can recommend that teaches operation of the TLB?

Videos maybe?

Thanks for the help!

Bill Macher in Pgh PA [Ohio Township actually...]

/ Books to teach new guys? #2  
Bill,
Muhammad, has a CUT book that you can order on line. Many great comments on this book.
PJ

/ Books to teach new guys? #3  
Fellow TBNer Jim Crowley recommended to me a book of the same title: 'Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe' by Gary Ober. This is the official training text of the International Union of Operating Engineers. Price is $38 for single copies. Costs less for multiple copies. See referenced web link below. Table of Contents implies this book is loaded with a ton of useful information. Jim raved about it and highly recommended it. All credit to him for this discovery.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.equiptrain.com/tlbbook.htm#toc>http://www.equiptrain.com/tlbbook.htm#toc</A>

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Books to teach new guys? #4  
I recommend that you check out "Moving the Earth - The Workbook of Excavation" by Nichols and Day. 4th Edition was published in 1998. Over 1400 pages with tons of information. Unfortunately, it is expensive $110. Amazon does not discount it (Barnes & Noble site does) but Amazon site has over 40 pages on line for you to look at (including 10 page Table of Contents). Ron in Central New York

/ Books to teach new guys?
Apparently the Ober book that is available at the link in the above post by Rancar is a new edition that has about 100 pages more than the one I got from the library a couple days ago. I will probably order it as this book is just perfect for someone like me who is starting at ground zero.

The other one, Moving the Earth..., that Ron_NY recommends is more than I would want to spend sight unseen, at $88 at Barnes and Noble...but there is also an older edition of that one at the library, as a reference book, and I will take a look at it when I go there next time.

Looks like the new revision of the Ober book is only available at the link rancar posted. I searched for it at amazon and barnes and noble without success...

The Ober book is so usefull to someone like me that if you are in need of learning the basics and cannot put you hands on this book before buying it, I would say go ahead and buy it, as it is that good.

I really appreciate the pointer to that new revision, rancar, as I am not sure I would have been able to search it out otherwise and might have ended up buying an out of print copy of the older one I got from the library, or nothing at all.

thanks for your help, guys!

Bill Macher

/ Books to teach new guys? #6  
When you're searching for the a book try www.bookfinder.com. You'll find sources for new and used books. I tend to buy used when the book price is outrageous. Of course in 1976 when I bought a copy of Moving the Earth for $25.00, I thought that was expensive.

FWIW, I don't recommend Moving the Earth for most folks. If you're in the excavation business big time, or you're a civil engineer, or an estimator, it's an excellent encyclopedic reference. For most other folks, it's a door stop.

/ Books to teach new guys? #7  
Bill,
For excellent (and free) "How to" use the FEL and Backhoe, got to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bushhog.com/>http://bushhog.com/</A> and click on "Commercial Turf", on the next page in the center bottom click on "see a list of downloadable operators manuals".On the next page click on any of the FEL or backhoe manuals (they are in Adobe PDF format so you will need the FREE Acrobat reader{you can get from that page if you need it}) and thumb through them till you get to the "how to techniques". They have great tips for the beginner and even the experienced.

/ Books to teach new guys? #8  
Thanks for the link. I had checked before and could only find used at Amazon. Ordered a copy today.