Loose steering in JD 855

/ Loose steering in JD 855 #1  

bradblack

Tractor
1531 MF,855John Deere, MF 35 Diesel
I have a 1996 JD 855 hydro 4x4 with about 2200 hrs on it. It is agreat little tractor. The steering wheel has play in it. It appears to me that the problem is in the steering valve. It also appears that ther is no way to adjust this valve,and the troubleshooting section of the owners say to see the dealer for this condition. I looked in the shop manual to see how to rebuild this valve and although I believe I have the ability to do this repair,the parts are numerous, and I don't have a clue as to what to order. Anybody been to this movie? It looks like the valve assembly is available part # AM101948.

/ Loose steering in JD 855 #2  
Define "steering wheel has play".....TYPICALLY the steering valve is fine but the mechanical linkages are worn out..
This was the case with my F935 which had 3500 hours on it, steering was so sloppy it was almost scary :D completely took apart the axle, new bushings on the axle itself, tie rod ends, etc.. from left to right and she steers perfectly tight now.

/ Loose steering in JD 855
On the 855 the steering is similar to a car that has a rack in it. The play in the wheel is coming before the the rack.