3 pt fork set up

/ 3 pt fork set up
Arrow,

Both you guys must have your wood lots a bunch clearer than mine. If I tried to bring an 8' trunk out of the woods, I'd have to pick it up 5 times from getting knocked out.

Na Jeff, my woods are a nightmare. I could never get out if I carried them out. I use the traditional skidding method, stack the stems and then bring the stems to the splitter next season.

Attachments

• PICT0178.jpg
    PICT0178.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT0173.jpg
    PICT0173.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 112
   / 3 pt fork set up
I did the same as JB4310, and for the same reason added the 3rd scv.
So quick to drop the ballast box and hook to the forks to move pallets of wood.

The thin forks are very helpful when sliding under a log or into a pallet.

I think you guys hit a home run with those forks. I should say they'd be easier to slip under a log as thin as they are. I cannot find any one piece carryalls that have their forks as thin as that. Those are super.

/ 3 pt fork set up #14  
I use these forks on my Yanmar. i dont have the hydraulic tilt yet but they still work good. I tested them on my Dad's 3720 and they started to bend at 5000 pound load. This was by lowering the dumptrailer onto the ball for the forks. It was full of material. So they should always be strong enough on my Yanmar.:cool: I just need to add 2 more weights onto the front because the front end likes to come off the ground with a load over a few hundred pounds. 200 pounds of front weights should help. Atleast i have field brakes.:rolleyes: Would you believe those forks used to be for my step Mom's skidsteer?

Attachments

• 1-9-10 035.jpg
    1-9-10 035.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 99
   / 3 pt fork set up #15  
In general, I'm not a member of the safety police, and have been known to push the limits of my equipment in ways that could easily earn me a Darwin award. However, Arrow's pictures in post 11 give me the willies. I would be amazed if that trunk didn't outweigh that tractor by at least a couple hundred pounds. I would be very reluctant to skid that trunk with that tractor. Arrow, please at least consider making one cut in the field and bringing that trunk out in two pieces.

/ 3 pt fork set up #16  
I agree with the top cylinder making the forks more useful. I have a homemade set that I have had on two tractors now. I can lift a car with them.
As far as logs go I prefer the loader as the front end pivots unlike the rear end.
Logs just seem to want to exit the forks prematurely more so than with the loader. You can see in the picture my forks and the huge log I am lifting with the original prototype of Loader Buddy. You also have much more control with placing with the loader. When I am in the woods making firewood, I will put on my logging grapple and pull logs out but before I will fill the bucket with smaller stuff to make the trips more efficient. Everything goes to the landing for processing.

Attachments

• DSC01398.JPG
    DSC01398.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 83
   / 3 pt fork set up #17  
Na Jeff, my woods are a nightmare. I could never get out if I carried them out. I use the traditional skidding method, stack the stems and then bring the stems to the splitter next season.

I don't think you are doing anything "above and beyond" the equipment. Have skidded out many logs that same way. All depends on the logs, where they lay, and if I want to keep them from getting dirt in the bark. On snow helps a lot.

Attachments

• logging2.JPG
    logging2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 87
   / 3 pt fork set up
In general, I'm not a member of the safety police, and have been known to push the limits of my equipment in ways that could easily earn me a Darwin award. However, Arrow's pictures in post 11 give me the willies. I would be amazed if that trunk didn't outweigh that tractor by at least a couple hundred pounds. I would be very reluctant to skid that trunk with that tractor. Arrow, please at least consider making one cut in the field and bringing that trunk out in two pieces.

Actually Jeff that stem is probably a little under 2000Lbs. the tractor with fel and loaded tires is approaching 3000Lbs. Thanks for your concern however.

Beenthere: How do you like the tongs for skidding? Are they able to allow you to stay on the tractor for the entire turn or do they take some convincing to get on or off?

Magic: The lifting part or lack there of on my machine is just something I've gotten used to. Its when I walk the log the 100' or so to the splitter that I am concerned about. This is a weight that is sometimes out 6' further than either side of the tractor. That is a lot of torsional force being put on the entire front end of the tractor. Can't be good for such a small machine such as our c.u.t.s. on a repetitive basis such as processing firewood requires. A dirt loaded bucket is one thing and this wide weight is another. From what I see of the contortions my tractor going through with the twisting and such of the fel posts, tires and invisible forces that have already caused a complete split of one of my front 4wd housings, I wouldn't recommend carrying a wide log with the fel for longer travel distances than to scoop it up and place it on the stem pile after skidding it close to the pile.

Last edited:
   / 3 pt fork set up
I use these forks on my Yanmar. i dont have the hydraulic tilt yet but they still work good. I tested them on my Dad's 3720 and they started to bend at 5000 pound load. This was by lowering the dumptrailer onto the ball for the forks. It was full of material. So they should always be strong enough on my Yanmar.:cool: I just need to add 2 more weights onto the front because the front end likes to come off the ground with a load over a few hundred pounds. 200 pounds of front weights should help. Atleast i have field brakes.:rolleyes: Would you believe those forks used to be for my step Mom's skidsteer?

See that little upward slant of the forks? This is one of my concerns. This slant does make it easier to get under a log but as you are picking it up, the log will want to roll off. Hmm, I'm wondering if a little 1" slanted ear welded onto the fork near its end would be just enough to prevent a complete fall off until the angle changed on the 3 pt. Thanks for your pic JD.

/ 3 pt fork set up #20  
.......Beenthere: How do you like the tongs for skidding? Are they able to allow you to stay on the tractor for the entire turn or do they take some convincing to get on or off?

Magic: The lifting part or lack there of on my machine is just something I've gotten used to. Its when I walk the log the 100' or so to the splitter that I am concerned about. This is a weight that is sometimes out 6' further than either side of the tractor. That is a lot of torsional force being put on the entire front end of the tractor. Can't be good for such a small machine such as our c.u.t.s. on a repetitive basis such as processing firewood requires. A dirt loaded bucket is one thing and this wide weight is another. From what I see of the contortions my tractor going through with the twisting and such of the fel posts, tires and invisible forces that have already caused a complete split of one of my front 4wd housings, I wouldn't recommend carrying a wide log with the fel for longer travel distances than to scoop it up and place it on the stem pile after skidding it close to the pile.

Arrow
The tongs are very handy and usually can back to the downed log in the woods, drop the tongs and if done right, will slide/open over the log for lifting. Usually can get out of the woods without dropping/losing the log. But I've found the time taken to throw a choker chain around the log when it is lifted is time well spent. All depends on the log. The one in the pic came out of the woods that way, and if all goes well, the tongs can be released without getting off the tractor (dismount...ugh :) ).

Regards your take on carrying logs on the forks/FEL, I will take your experience into consideration. This last fall, I bucked all my logs to 90" and brought them out of the woods that length on the forks/FEL. Kept the logs clean and I didn't have to "dismount" (Ugh !!) :)

A 20" diam, 90" white ash log weighs just close to 1000 lbs. Right at the limit of the FEL on the Deere 4300 without more ballast than I have.