yanmar ym 186d -86

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #1  

triker01

Tractor
yanmar 186d
hi everybody!

im having problem starting my tractor, as my relative passed away i have inherited his tractor a ym 186d -86 and i have no idea how to start it
i think it has som kind of killswitch or combination before start so if theres anybody with knowledge, please notify me

thanks in advance from sweden:)

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #2  
There is a fuel shut off on the fuel filter on right side of the engine. Lever pointing down is open.

Place power shift and range shift lever in neutral.

Place pto shift lever in neutral.

If there is a front pto turn it off. Push switch down.

For cold weather start:

Pull throttle lever fully rearward (off).

Pull decompression lever out.

Crank engine until oil pressure light goes out (5 to 10 seconds).

Place throttle lever fully forward.

Turn key counterclockwise and hold for 10 to 15 seconds.
An electric thermostart plug ignites a small amount of fuel in the intake manifold.

Depress clutch.

Turn key clockwise to start. Don't over crank the engine or starter may overheat. (manual says 10-15 seconds then rest for a minute)

When engine starts pull throttle halfway back and allow engine to warm up.

I think you can still get owners manuals or copies from the dealers. They are well worth it.

Check the posts in the Yanmar section. There is a ton of information there.

Chris

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #3  
I think there is a safety switch on the seat. It won't start unless you are sitting in the seat. Sometimes the wires that run under the tractor get pulled out.

Chris

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #4  
Now that is some good instructions! :D

/ yanmar ym 186d -86
thanx everbody for the input!! :) i will try it, ill keep you posted

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #6  
Come join the Yanmar Forum here!

Many Yanmar owners will see your post, and offer advice. (But pennwalk already covered everything I would think of.)

I own a YM186D but all the fancy safety-switch wiring is missing.

I just though of one more thing - if it ran out of fuel, and it cranks but won't fire up, then you need to bleed the air out of the fuel hoses. Start at the bleeder-screw nearest the fuel tank, then the one next to it, (both on the fuel filter) then work down to the one on the injector pump last.

You don't need to open the high pressure lines beyond the injector pump.

These things are simple and reliable. My YM186D starts instantly. Yours will, as soon as you discover what the problem is.

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #7  
My YM186D starts instantly

Ahhh California is nice and warm. Here in Pennsylvania this time of year after you get the operator warmed up by digging out 18 inches of snow to the barn it takes some work to get the tractor started but so far it has always started. :D

I was thinking that if the tractor has sat for a while you could have bad fuel. I had that and I had to dump the tank, change the filter and bleed the fuel lines. Oh yeah. Buy new fuel and add Killum.

Also if it is really cold you could have fuel gelling and it won't run. There are winter additives.

Chris

/ yanmar ym 186d -86
Come join the Yanmar Forum here!

Many Yanmar owners will see your post, and offer advice. (But pennwalk already covered everything I would think of.)

I own a YM186D but all the fancy safety-switch wiring is missing.

I just though of one more thing - if it ran out of fuel, and it cranks but won't fire up, then you need to bleed the air out of the fuel hoses. Start at the bleeder-screw nearest the fuel tank, then the one next to it, (both on the fuel filter) then work down to the one on the injector pump last.

You don't need to open the high pressure lines beyond the injector pump.

These things are simple and reliable. My YM186D starts instantly. Yours will, as soon as you discover what the problem is.

---------------

mine is totaly dead . when i turn the key nothing happens
i have 12v at battery and at starter, maybe some kind of kill switch or antitheft? :) .ps have nothing under the seat.

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #9  
Many of these Yanmars have a "safety switch" activated by the clutch. IF it fails or does not have contact when clutch pedal is fully engaged, the starter will not turn.

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #10  
There are two start safety switches on the electrical diagram. One for the pto and one for the clutch. Pto is 2 speed. 1000 rpm up and 540 down. Neutral is in the middle. The clutch needs to be all the way down.

The troubleshooting guide from the manual for "starter will not crank"

starter safety switch is not correctly adjusted of failed.

Battery capacity is low.

battery cables are loose.

defective starter.

defective main switch.

I don't think measuring 12 volts at the battery tells you if the battery is good. Have you tried jumping it?

Chris