GREASEING DEBATE

/ GREASEING DEBATE
thanks guys: seems like most of u wipe off the excess, was beginning to think i was the only neat freak. HEY MIKE i will see if i can scrounge up some grease in kioti orange color.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #12  
I wipe the grease I can get off easy that is on the outside. The grease that gets between the cylinder housing and the frame I figure prevents a metal on metal contact.

The one thing I don't like is Kubota recommends a grease with moly in it, nothing gets all over any more than that stuff. I'd like to find a good substitute. Seems like I am always getting some of that grease on my hand and transfering it to my clothes.

Randy

/ GREASEING DEBATE #13  
Youare,

Wear goves. Then you won't notice the grease on your hands. :)

Don

/ GREASEING DEBATE #15  
<font color=blue>The one thing I don't like is Kubota recommends a grease with moly in it, nothing gets all over any more than that stuff. I'd like to find a good substitute.</font color=blue>

One possible substitute would be a Lithium-Complex grease. We were using a moly-based grease where I used to work in one of our tougher applications. We had real problems with the bearings wearing out. Seems the coolant that was splashed on the bearing area kept washing the grease out. Switched to a highly waterproof EP-2 lithium-complex made by Chemtool (I believe it was called Rollube EP2). The stuff was amazing bearings lasted much longer, machine ran cooler. The only gripe was that the stuff was so waterproof, it was almost impossible to wash out of your clothes (It was originally made for use in steel mills, where open bearings on hot rolling mills were cooled with something resembling a fire hose).

I don't know if all lithium-complex greases work like this one, but it's worth looking into. Just make sure you also look for the EP (extreme pressure) rating.

Disclaimer: I'm no lubricantion engineer. Use at your own risk.

John Mc

/ GREASEING DEBATE #16  
OK, You guys shamed me. I finished my 50 hour service this morning and the last thing I did was lube the FEL, 3 point links and hydro pedal. I kept thinking about all you neat freaks and started wiping them off after I greased them. About half way though I came to my senses (and ran out of rags) and left the grease on the rest of them.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #17  
So what will you do next time? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ GREASEING DEBATE #18  
This is exactly what those cheap "throw away" cloth towels, in packages of 50-100 at SAMS & COSTCO, are for. I use a lithium complex grease, rated for salt water use (outdrives of boats, boat trailors), and wipe off (not real compulsively) both sides of the fitting - otherwise, the whole area is covered with dirt that I have to scrape off just to get at the grease fitting the next time service is due - so, you're going to wipe it off (at least the zerk side) sometime, might as well be when you put the grease in.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #19  
I got the latest Eastwood catalog the other day and they have grease fitting caps, $7.99 a hundred. They come in red or black. If you've never heard of Eastwood they supply a lot of auto restoration parts, supplys, tools, paint and other neat stuff. They aren't cheap but you can find a lot of the stuff locally cheaper, some of it you just can't find anywhere else. It's worth a look. www.eastwoodcompany.com

/ GREASEING DEBATE
ahmen! i use rags on a roll. very cheap, can get them any where, and don't mind use them in excess. but u are right that grease gets all over everything BOY DID I START SOMETHING HERE WITH THIS POST/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif