GREASEING DEBATE

/ GREASEING DEBATE #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
not really important, but just wonder what you all do AFTER u grease you tractor, fel, etc. do u wipe the excess grease off? (i do) don't seem like anything outside of the pins or bearings will do anything but collect dirt and debris. some say u should leave it on, but i think it serves no purpose other that getting on your clothes , and looks like heck. opinions??

/ GREASEING DEBATE #2  
Hmm, this has potential to be another hotly contested debate /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I wipe the excess grease off the fitting and get what I can from around the pins (on my FEL anyway). Hard to get it all but if I don't at least try I'll be guaranteed to drag a shirt sleeve or something in it and make a huge mess. Other than that aspect, there is probably nothing wrong with leaving the grease. Any dirt it accumulates will stay safely outside of the bearing and it may even offer a bit more protection. I still don't like the look of all that excess grease hanging on my tractor though /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ GREASEING DEBATE #3  
I usually wipe it off for the reasons you gave. Also I am not as certain as everyone else might be that the dirt that collects on the grease will always stay out of important places. Besides, wiping it off forces me to "preflight" all of the pins and linkages.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #4  
I leave it. I think the coating of grease will catch the dirt and help keep it out of the bearing surface. I wash it off when I wash the tractor.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #5  
I wipe off the grease fitting but leave the grease where it comes out of the other side. I will wipe the grease when I clean the tractor over the winter.

Steve

/ GREASEING DEBATE #6  
Hi All i wipe the grease from fitting and any real excess for the same reasons mentioned
EDT

/ GREASEING DEBATE #7  
I would leave a little grease on the fitting to be wiped off just befor you grease the next time. I do this on all me vehicles to protest the fitting from dirt and water. Mostly water if your fitting rusts them you will have to replace it.

As for around pins and such. You are not hurting anything by leaving some grease around them. I would remove any excesive excess grease from them. Again leaving some there does help to keep out dirt and water.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #8  
I wipe it off, but mostly because I'm kind of a "neat freak", I like things to look neat and tidy. Plus, if I leave it on it will fall off on the garage floor or in the grass and someone will step on it and track in the house, etc. Otherwise, it probably doesn't make any difference. The main thing is to remember to wipe off the grease fitting before pumping grease in or any dirt that is on it will get pumped into the bearing.

/ GREASEING DEBATE #9  
FRANK,This used to drive me crazy,when I restored my International I found red grease so it was'nt so obvious,but now(that I'm older)I'm not so fussy,besides I doubt If I could find grease in Kioti orange.
I just get the heavy off and let the pressure washer get the rest when the whole rig needs a bath...........Mike

/ GREASEING DEBATE #10  
I hadn't actually thought about that.. but now that you mention it.. NH grease is blue.. go figure...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>FRANK,This used to drive me crazy,when I restored my International I found red grease so it was'nt so obvious,but now(that I'm older)I'm not so fussy,besides I doubt If I could find grease in Kioti orange.