Gone Back To Gear Tractor?

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #11  
Just a curiosity poll. Has anyone actually gone back to a gear tractor, or threatened to do so, because they a.) wished to save a few dollars? b.) gotten weary of the HST whine, or c.) another reason of your own?

Not so much interested in a zillion posts by those who love their HST and wouldn't go back, that's obviously the vast majority. Just interested in hearing from those who have or are thinking about swimming against the tide.

Not sure if this counts...
I went from using my neighbors Case 580 BH to a JD 2240 geared tractor. I miss the automatic trans for loader work, but love the $20K savings in cost on machines of the same age. The difference in cost made the difference in having or not having a machine to use again. Lost the use of the 580 after my neighbor died. Six to seven years of no maintainance can really deteriorate your drives. Ask me again in a few years after I get used to dealing with a clutch in tight situations.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #12  
you can never own enough tractors. I have a cheap old iron (Case VAC) gear Tractor and a HST NH-TC35. Both tractors are awsome for the chores that I assign them.

My first tractor was a Case SC and was a top quality tractor for its time. Had the Eagle Claw hitch, and rear remote, worked like a champ. Here is a pic of one that has been restored by someone else. Wish I had it in my stable.:D

I'm keeping my gear tractor and my hydros' for now.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #13  
I must agree with Charlton Heston on this one. I'll give up my HST when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #14  
I absolutely cannot stand the hydro whine on my HST B3200.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor?
Thanks guys for your replies. There have been plenty enough Gear vs Hydro threads, don't need another of those.

Asking the guys who went back to gear, why they decided to do so.

BP,
You got to get out of the cabin, winter will soon be over though!:D:D

Jenkins, thanks, I get out a lot!!! :D:D

We take almost for granted the popularity of hydro. This thread was an request to hear from folks who tried, but went back to gears and why they chose to do so.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #17  
Just a curiosity poll. Has anyone actually gone back to a gear tractor, or threatened to do so, because they a.) wished to save a few dollars? b.) gotten weary of the HST whine, or c.) another reason of your own?

Not so much interested in a zillion posts by those who love their HST and wouldn't go back, that's obviously the vast majority. Just interested in hearing from those who have or are thinking about swimming against the tide.

Won't ever go back to gear.
Don't have whine in the Deere HST, and also
don't need the tractor to plow (Have a tiller :) and HST is perfect for that), and
I have cruise control for easing the right foot. :D

I'm a BIG fan of HST.
I must agree with Charlton Heston on this one. I'll give up my HST when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

F for comprehension...lol

My next one will be a shuttle shift or something similar. Don't like the power loss and negative habit transfer of controlling.

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #18  
My college roommate went form a hst JD to a gear Case for the reasons all others mentioned.

I think if you mow and tool around your small acreage plot hst is the ticket. He got into logging and doing more heavy work plus bush hogging bigger fields and the hst was giving him issues.

Chris

/ Gone Back To Gear Tractor? #19  
I am thinking of going from a small HST to a large GST Kubota. Haven't decided yet, cost is the only issue

1. Direct torque to wheels
2. No whine
3. Simplicity/maintenance
4. Lower cost

Did I miss any so far? Any more reasons you will go/stay/have gone back to gear?

Again, this isn't bait for the argumentative, just gathering of information.