Push with 3 point?

/ Push with 3 point? #1  

firefighter jim

Gold Member
Most 3 point hitch's are generally used for pulling an impliment. Any harm in pushing an impliment ie. plowing snow in reverse? Didn't think there was but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

/ Push with 3 point? #2  
I've used mine for plowing snow, and digging with a dirt bucket. So to answer I'd say no you won't harm anything, just use common sense.

/ Push with 3 point? #3  
I've done it. You can do it. Just be careful and watch your speed. It's important to know your area that you are working in when things are covered with snow.

If you hit something going forward, often the blade and lift will kick up and bounce over it. But if you have the blade reversed and plowing backward, you can get quite a jolt if you hit an unmovable object. I think you can guess how I know.

/ Push with 3 point? #4  
Although I believe you can carefully push in reverse with any tractor, there are some that are clearly designed to be better at it that others. When you look at the way the lower lift arms are attached to the differential, you can see what I mean. If you just have a pin coming out of the differential, then it cannot be as strong as a captive pin with support on both sides. My attached photo illustrates what I think is the best/stongest way of mounting the lower link arm pins.

With any tractor, you have to be cautious when pushing backwards. If you get going too fast, you have a lot of inertia, and the force could be enough to bend you lower arms. If you are going slow in reverse and hit an immovable object, lower traction and less inertia will most likely make you just spin your tires and come to a stop. The same is true when going forward, but your tractor is designed to have more strength for pulling than pushing in reverse. That is true for all tractors.

Attachments

• LowerLink.jpg
    LowerLink.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 713
   / Push with 3 point?
Thanks guys for the input. I've aways plowed in reverse and thought nothing of it (plowing snow that is!). A while back I thought I read something that had something negative to say about it. Couldn't remember hence the question. Thanks again, Jim

/ Push with 3 point?
Thanks for the pic Jinman. Understand your point. My 8n is just an unsupported pin while the Kubota is supported on both ends although not as hefty as yours. I do usually take it easy in reverse. Jim

Last edited:
   / Push with 3 point? #7  
Pushing in reverse is also dependent upon the implement you're using. A standard blade is curved forward and will normally ride up over small items (bumps).

A box blade like I use has both a front and a rear blade- the rear curves towards the back. With this type of blade, it is important to keep an eye on the tilt angle (using hydraulic top link).

When tilted back, in reverse it will tend to dig. Tilted forward will tend to ride up and over.

Here's what I do in this deep snow.

When pushing deep snow back and out of the way, I tilt forward and slowly raise the box blade as the tractor slows due to traction or amt of snow. This is a fast push.

Then I follow up with blade tilted back and slower to scrape the snow from the surface.

I also push straight a ways then steer it off to the side. I didn't change it over for the straight, pivot blade, so gotta use what I have :)

I've also found the box blade is a bit heavier than the old straight blade- better traction in the snow.

I do drag forward for tight spots, but you can only drag so much going forwards.

Hope this helps!

- JC

/ Push with 3 point? #8  
I think I will have to disagree somewhat. There are a number of posts on the forum where people have bent or broke lower lift arms by pushing in reverse. I recall most of them being in dirt with a box blade used in reverse as a dozer blade would be. It would seem that wet snow and a rear blade could produce similar stresses. The arms are engineered to pull not push when you think about it.

That said, I will work in reverse at times. Lighter materials and finish grading mostly. I wouldn't say not to do it, just use caution.

MarkV

/ Push with 3 point? #9  
I think I will have to disagree somewhat.
[snip]
I wouldn't say not to do it, just use caution.

That's the operative word, "caution"

I usually slow down when getting to the "pile" and normally use the brakes to stop the tractor.

I push with the box blade all the time when spreading material, never when digging- that's only forward pulling work. I would think snow is similar to the former.

Just be sure what you're pushing over/into and adjust your speed and force accordingly.

Now that I've said all that, a disclaimer: 3ph is made for pulling as said above, so use caution ;)

BTW- your draft control will help protect 3ph when pulling, but won't help when pushing in reverse...

/ Push with 3 point? #10  
Both the rear blade and box blade are designed to use in reverse, so there's no rule against it. I did bend my lift arms by not being careful and going to fast plowing snow backwards with a modded snow plow. But that's life, things get bent, broken and worn out when you use them.

You have to use a bit of caution, not fear. There have been plenty of users stories of breaking 3 pt parts using them in forward position as well.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN2945.jpg
    DSCN2945.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCN2979.JPG
    DSCN2979.JPG
    907.2 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCN2980.JPG
    DSCN2980.JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 1,233