Mowing Leveling rear mower

/ Leveling rear mower #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
I have a problem.. I don't have a single flat surface on my entire property (if I do it's just by chance and I don't know where it is. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

What's the best way to set up a rear mower (JD4300 with JD272 rear finish mower)? I really mean it.. there is nothing level on our land. All I've been able to do so far is keep an eye out behind me, and adjust the rockshaft a bit by eyeballing it. I can't seem to get the cut height adjusted to the correct level, though. I set the rear wheels to 3 inches, and then let the mower down until it looks more or less level front to rear. But I always seem to end up with shorter cuts than I really want.

Ancillary question.. do most folks have their lower 3pt hitch arms set to float when mowing.. or do you set them rigid?

Ancillary question number 2: How come the JD video that comes with the machine shows the guy just sliding the PTO shaft on in about 1 second, and I have to spend 20 minutes cussing and sweating and getting covered with grease to get mine on? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif The guy in the video just picks it up and slips it on. In my case, the splines never line up, even when I manually turn the tractor PTO by hand trying to get them lined up. I have to heavily grease the splined areas, start the engine, engage the PTO, shut it down, see if it lines up, repeat sometimes up to 5 times before finally the shaft slides on. I've come to hate mowing! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Any thoughts appreciated!

Bob

/ Leveling rear mower #2  
Well Bob, not sure how much I can help since I don't own a finish mower and my land is all flat. But hey, TBN is all about support, right?

There is the possibility that with your non-flat land the 72 inch mower is simply too wide. Any chance of trying a 60 inch for comparison? I've also seen gang finish mowers (not reel types) that would probably follow the contours better. Pricey though /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Regarding your PTO hook up... I wonder if there isn't a burr, or an improperly machined part in there somewhere. It just shouldn't take that much work to hook up. Any chance of getting your dealer out, or take it to the dealer and have them give it a try. Either they'll have the same problem or they'll show you what you're doing wrong. Either way, it's an opportunity to improve the situation.

Hope some of this helps, hating mowing could lead to hating tractors and we certainly can't have that /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Leveling rear mower #3  
Bob, adding an overrunning clutch to your tractor's pto shaft would make lining up the splines a snap. The pto shaft from the overrunning clutch always spins free.

/ Leveling rear mower
Thanks, Rob. Yes, I think having my dealer look at the PTO stuff is a great idea. It just shouldn't be this hard. I go out, get the mower on, and I'm exhausted. I go in and rest a bit, and then I go out and mow. I dread having to take that mower off, because I know what I'm going to go through putting it back on.

The tiller is easier, but only because I can lift it a bit, shut down, then stand back there and put one heel of my foot on a tiller tine and rotate the thing until it finally lines up. Still need lots of grease on the PTO splines, but at least I don't have to keep starting the engine and shutting it off (which I assume isn't a great way to ensure longevity of one's tractor.)

The 60 inch versus 72 inch wide mower is another interesting idea which I simply hadn't thought of. It might be worth seeing if they'd loan or rent me one to see if it makes a difference.

And yes, support is what it's all about.. and I appreciate yours!!

Thanks,
Bob

/ Leveling rear mower #5  
<font color=blue>I have to heavily grease the splined areas, start the engine, engage the PTO, shut it down, see if it lines up, repeat sometimes up to 5 times before finally the shaft slides on. </font color=blue>

Bob, once again, I recomend getting a PTO overrun clutch and putting it on. It turns easily in one direction, making hooking the shaft from the implement a breeze.

/ Leveling rear mower
<font color=blue>Bob, adding an overrunning clutch to your tractor's pto shaft would make lining up the splines a snap. The pto shaft from the overrunning clutch always spins free.</font color=blue>

How much do these babies cost? Any idea? Sounds like it might also protect the tractor if I hit something substantial with the mower or any other attachment. The tiller has its own clutch, but I don't believe the mower does.

Thanks,
Bob

/ Leveling rear mower
<font color=blue>Bob, once again, I recomend getting a PTO overrun clutch and putting it on. It turns easily in one direction, making hooking the shaft from the implement a breeze.</font color=blue>

Okay, Ed.. I'm convinced. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Where do you get these things? Do I have to shorten my PTO shafts to use them? Sounds like a "must have" for me, at this point!

Thanks,
Bob

/ Leveling rear mower #9  
Bob, you don't have to shorten your pto shaft. You just slip the overrunning clutch on, and tighten a set screw. It couldn't be easier! Hurry down to your local TSC store and get one!!/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Leveling rear mower #10  
Bob,

As far as leveling your RFM it should be very simple...I am not familiar with you perticular deck but mine has four wheels. Each wheel has a set of spacers that control the height of the deck. As long as you have the same number and size of spacers on all four wheels it should be level.

The only other adjustment is the 3PH leveler. The screw adjustment usually on the right lift arm. If you do not have a level place to test then before you hook up the mower take a tape measure and measure the distance from the ground to the link end on both and adjust to match.

When I us my mower I have the lift in the full down position. My mower has floating arms at the lift points and floats nicely that way.

Hope this helps?