Grease On Hood

/ Grease On Hood
I went ahead and cleaned the hood with diesel and then dish soap.

Man, that diesel cleaned up the stubborn grease like a hot knife through butter. Worked great.!!

/ Grease On Hood #22  
I think mineral spirits works well too but diesel in my neck of the woods is $2.75/gallon and mineral spirits is close to $10/gallon :eek: It used to be cheap but aint no more.

naptha works well and won't harm most cured paints.. leaves no residue and flashes fast.. I try to avoid anything with laqure thinner as it can remove paint.

soundguy

/ Grease On Hood #23  
Kerosene or diesel is my "go-to" cleaner for anything on a painted surface because it's about the most gentle thing I can think of, other than plain soapy water. I also use it to get tar spots off my car.

I haven't tried it yet, but this spring I'll see if it will cut the diesel soot from the exhaust that stains my loader arm and bottom of the hood. That stuff is very hard to get off with just soapy water. My guess is that it will work.

/ Grease On Hood #24  
Kerosene or diesel is my "go-to" cleaner for anything on a painted surface because it's about the most gentle thing I can think of, other than plain soapy water. I also use it to get tar spots off my car.

I haven't tried it yet, but this spring I'll see if it will cut the diesel soot from the exhaust that stains my loader arm and bottom of the hood. That stuff is very hard to get off with just soapy water. My guess is that it will work.

Runner,
A good surfactant (reduces surface tension) type cleaner will remove diesel soot easily. For a small area try some 409 or Fantastic and a soft brush. I use a commercial type house wash soap or car wash soap.

Soundguy,
I use mineral spirits not laquer thinner, laquer thinner is even more costly and is to tough on the paint.

/ Grease On Hood #25  
Soundguy,
I use mineral spirits not laquer thinner, laquer thinner is even more costly and is to tough on the paint.

Lotsa spray cleaners like some carb cleaners use laquer thinner. i know some people use spray brake and carb cleaner near interchangeably.. that's why I mentioned it... IE. grabbing carb cleaner instead of a can of brake cleaner to clean something off a painted surface may lead to a repaint.. etc.

soundguy

/ Grease On Hood #26  
SoundGuy,
Don't know if it is true or just an old wives tale, but I have heard that some of the carb cleaners can be tough on metal parts made with the loss foam process. In some cases it can disolve or make them porous allowing them to leak. I heard that when their was some discussion about Mercury Marine parts. Ever heard of that?

/ Grease On Hood #27  
There was suggestion I didn't see.
Just sell the tractor and get a new one. :D :D

Wedge

/ Grease On Hood #28  
I don't know the actual reason, other than perhaps a ph problem, but I have heard of problems with some carb cleaners inthe dip buckets and some issues with aluminum and or bronze parts.. I have cleaned aluminum carbs in dip style cleaners.. though I usually don't leave them in long than needed to get the paint and varnish off.. so can't verify that rumor or not. Though have

soundguy

/ Grease On Hood #29  
I just hit it with the pressure washer and move it somewhere else on the tractor.

/ Grease On Hood #30  
I haven't tried it yet, but this spring I'll see if it will cut the diesel soot from the exhaust that stains my loader arm and bottom of the hood. That stuff is very hard to get off with just soapy water.

Another thing to try is something like this: PPC BELLY WASH AND DEGREASER from Aircraft Spruce. I am not sure if this is the particular product that I used but it took off 30+ years of soot and grease form the belly of a plane I used to own. Nothing else worked (although I did not try diesel)