Chains CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD?

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #1  

JAMMERGT

I just got a Ford 1220 4wd tractor and was considering chains for the front end - however it does not look as if there is enough clearance between the tires and steering linkage etc. My neighbor solved the problem on his Kubota by reversing his rims - the extra offset to the outside gave him clearance, but this does not appear to be an option on my Ford.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #2  
It's my understanding that chains on the front wheel of a 4x4 tractor is not a good thing to do - bad for the axle components.:eek:
Chains on the rear should be enough.
If not, get more weight.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #3  
The front wheels of a FWD are geared to cover the ground 15% faster than the rears. So then, on a hard surface such as pavement or frozen ground, it could be tough on the FWD system to be equipped with chains. That said, a lot of folks do it successfully, and if traction is an issue I'd probably do it too. However I don't and I rarely use chains on the rears either as I'm doing fine without. They are gathering dust.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #4  
There's been a lot of recent discussion on the merits of front chains only. I would suggest rear chains only, or on all four. Front chains could put a lot of stress on the front drive line, especially doing a lot of heavy loader work, like moving these massive snow/ice piles.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD?
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I will probably do without chains for now, the previous owner of this machine never had chains on it. I suppose there's always the possibility of changing out the turf tires for something more aggressive as well.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #6  
chains on the front won't hurt it, if you put chains on the rear you are changing the overall diameter of the rear tires thus throwing out the coheation of the drive train, chains on the front equalizes the both the front and rears.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #7  
I have R1's on my 1210 4wd and traction has never been a problem in snow.

I would love to have a set of turfs for some spring and summer jobs. Having 2 sets of tires and wheels would be a good solution if you could find a good deal on them. Changing them would be a breeze due to their relative light weight.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #8  
I run 4 chains on a 1220 with turfs and a 64" snowblower and it works great.

/ CHAINS ON FORD 1220 4WD? #9  
Tom,

Where in VT are you? I'm in SW VT and am (hopefully) going to look at a 1220. So, I assume it handles the snow well, what model snowblower do you use and is it hard to find?

I'll also take any advice/opinions on the 1220 that's out there! I'm looking to buy my first tractor.

Thanks, and apologies for jumping in on the thread!

Rob