Ballast Filling Tires Yourself

/ Filling Tires Yourself #1  

pitt_md

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000
I know i have seen threads about loading tractor tires with rim gaurd, or whatever. I searched but didn't find anything. Is it possible to do this your self? I don't have a trailer to take it to the shop for them to do it and I NEED more weight. So with out spending a couple of hundred for them to haul my tractor back and forth can someone who has tried this let me know if its worth the time/effort?

I got a new farm king snow blower (740) and its great as long as I have traction but thats in short supply with a 4WD MX5000 and R4's.

/ Filling Tires Yourself #2  
I know i have seen threads about loading tractor tires with rim gaurd, or whatever. I searched but didn't find anything. Is it possible to do this your self? I don't have a trailer to take it to the shop for them to do it and I NEED more weight. So with out spending a couple of hundred for them to haul my tractor back and forth can someone who has tried this let me know if its worth the time/effort?

I got a new farm king snow blower (740) and its great as long as I have traction but thats in short supply with a 4WD MX5000 and R4's.

I haven't actually done it myself, but from reading different posts it sounds pretty easy. I'll try to find some links for you.

/ Filling Tires Yourself #3  
   / Filling Tires Yourself #4  
Pitt it isn't very hard. You can get a $10 valve from Napa, TSC or many tractor dealers that screws on to the tire valve stem after removing the valve. It attaches to a garden hose fitting and has a pressure release button to bleed off air as you fill the tire with liquid. I used non toxic anti-freeze and water in my tires. An electric drill operated pump added the anti-freeze and water pressure did the rest. Some people use windshield washer fluid and some have been able to buy rim guard in bulk. Of course you need to support the rear of the tractor to let the air out of the tire and set the valve stem at 12:00 so when it bleeds liquid you know you are filled to the top of the rim.

MarkV

/ Filling Tires Yourself #5  

I am of the understanding that Rim Guard (the beet juice) is not available for DIY loading. Only some dealers can do it. If that is what you want. :)

/ Filling Tires Yourself #6  
I am of the understanding that Rim Guard (the beet juice) is not available for DIY loading. Only some dealers can do it. If that is what you want. :)
Wrong. I filled my tires myself with rim guard last spring. I picked up the rim guard, brought it home and filled my tires. I used a pump from harbor freight. You may want to check around because some tire places have trucks they can send to your house to fill your tires. They usually use CaCl.
As far as worth it. Like night and day. I'm sorry I waited so long to do it.

Wedge

/ Filling Tires Yourself #7  
I just filled mine with the Tractor Supply fitting and had no problems and was really easy. Just takes a little time. I used 12 gallons of RV antifreeze in each tire and then another 10-12 gallons of water to top them off.

/ Filling Tires Yourself #8  
FWIW, Non-toxic anti-freeze is commonly known as RV anti-freeze. WalMart and everywhere else. $4-$5 a gallon is typical. Windshield Washer fluid is cheaper, sometimes found for $1.69.

I cannot speak for the corrosive nature of either. Can say that Salt Water fluid will eat your wheel alive and should be avoided. It is also a ground sterilizer if you should ever spring a leak. RimGuard is reputed to be enviro-safe.

/ Filling Tires Yourself #9  
I bought the adapter from Gemplers. I usead a 5 gallon pail with a bilge pump from a small boat in the bottom. I poured the windshield washer fluid into the pail. Hooked the power leads to the battery and pumped the fluid into my tractor tires. I needed to stop aprox every 5 - 10 minutes to let the air burp out of the tires. It was actually very easy.

/ Filling Tires Yourself #10  
Pitt it isn't very hard. You can get a $10 valve from Napa, TSC or many tractor dealers that screws on to the tire valve stem after removing the valve. It attaches to a garden hose fitting and has a pressure release button to bleed off air as you fill the tire with liquid. I used non toxic anti-freeze and water in my tires. An electric drill operated pump added the anti-freeze and water pressure did the rest. Some people use windshield washer fluid and some have been able to buy rim guard in bulk. Of course you need to support the rear of the tractor to let the air out of the tire and set the valve stem at 12:00 so when it bleeds liquid you know you are filled to the top of the rim.

MarkV

i wouldn't fill them that full i'd put the valve more like 10 oclock as you need to leave an air buffer.