Shuttle shift

/ Shuttle shift #1  

Anonymous Poster

This is all new to me...after owning a 50+ yr old farmall and looking to get a newer orange one ,I have what might seem to some as silly questions but here it goes: what is a shuttle ? pros and cons? Hydro static trans? pros and cons?Buying a used tractor I'm limited to what is on it, what are the musts that I should have ?..I have 20 acres of mostly woods and plan to do a lot of snow clean up after the plow truck. I'll have more questions as I go along...Thanks for the help

/ Shuttle shift #2  
Shuttleshift isn't hydro. It's a compromise between hydro and gear tractors. Basically you can shift without using the clutch or slowing down. Just push the lever up to go to the next gear and down to go to the slower gear. A great way to go especially if you are going to be doing any constant speed or ag. work.

/ Shuttle shift #3  
<font color=blue>Shuttleshift isn't hydro. It's a compromise between hydro and gear tractors. Basically you can shift without using the clutch or slowing down. Just push the lever up to go to the next gear and down to go to the slower gear.</font color=blue>

Just a little different view of shuttle shift here. Kioti shuttle shift. My Kioti LK3054 is a gear tractor with shuttle shift. 8 fwd and 8rev. While in any gear at any <font color=blue>engine rpm</font color=blue> you can shift from <font color=blue>fwd to rev</font color=blue> with the shuttle shift lever. Tractor fwd/rev motion has to be stopped. Unless your timing is perfect ofcourse. Mine isn't most of the time. Since the Kioti 3054 trans is full synchromesh, you are able to shift gears like in a manual trans car/truck without grinding the gears. The shuttle is not synchromized, on the 3054, therefore you will have to push in the clutch when shifting it also or do an awful lot of gear grinding. Although there some synchronized shuttles.

/ Shuttle shift #4  
And I have yet another definition of shuttle shift.. based on the Sync-Reverser on my JD4300. What mine does is give you a little lever on the left of the steering wheel, and it simple has three positions; forward, neutral and reverse. I have three ranges, and a 4-speed stick, giving me 12 gears.. and with the shuttle I have 12 gears forward and 12 reverse.

It's simply a handy way to switch from forward to reverse quickly and easily. Push in clutch, move lever, let out clutch.

More sophisticated ones don't require the clutch pedal..

Hope this helps more than confuses! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bob

/ Shuttle shift #5  
I think we're confusing him. We are basically talking about two different things. A shutteshift transmission is basically a transmission that you can shift without a clutch.

Now I may be wrong and things may be different on these compacts. What you guys are talking about is the forward/reverse feature that is called different things on different tractors, ie power reverser on the jd. THEY ARE NOT the same thing though. A shuttle shift, powershift, etc. is different from a forward/reverse setup.

You can have a shuttle/power shift transmission, let's call it for simplicity here a no clutch transmission AND/OR you can have a forward/reverse transmission. But they are two separate features that are independent of one another.

/ Shuttle shift #6  
Cowboydoc,

<font color=blue>I think we're confusing him. We are basically talking about two different things. A shutteshift transmission is basically a transmission that you can shift without a clutch. </font color=blue>

Thanks for clarifying.. I didn't know that. I don't have my manual with me, but I'd swear they refer to my Sync-Reverser lever as the shuttle lever or something similar.

Sorry for adding confusion!

I saw a big tractor driving up the road by my house the other day, and as he accelerated it sounded almost like it had an automatic.. with lots of speeds. That was probably a real shuttle shifter, right?

I should just refer to my lever as the "forward/reverse" lever, right?

Bob

/ Shuttle shift #7  
Yep you're exactly right Bob. Now they very well may call that a shuttleshift now but historically in ag. tractors it wasn't called that.

/ Shuttle shift #8  
If you'll indulge me in one more question, how does the true shuttle shift work? Is there a clutch pedal at all? Is it like a hydrostatic, but one in which you can choose multiple ranges on the fly? Is it an automatic transmission, with a torque converter, and which lets you pick the gear instead of it doing it? If you're in low gear, and want to get to 5th gear, do you push the lever four times?

Sorry, just curious.. and trying to learn. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Tks,
B

/ Shuttle shift #9  
Bob,
The shuttle shift basically works off of hydraulic plates. You have a shift lever and just move it up one gear at a time and shift on the fly. Yes if you're in low you would shift four times to get to fifth gear. Each gear position moves maybe a half inch. I'll get you some pics of my JD powershift. You do have a clutch and can use it just like a regular clutch if you need to but you don't use it to shift.

/ Shuttle shift #10  
Shuttle shift works by using a series of hydraulic clutches that sense when the gears are properly aliegned and quickly change gears. These work separate from the foot clutch. When the tractor is in gear and running you simply move the gear lever to the gear you want and it will shift gears when they aliegn. you can shift either up or down. you do not have to break spead or traction because the tractor is pulling the whole time. It is great for those times you want to pull a implement a little faster, but can not get it in a higher gear if you have to push in the clutch and break your momentum. Its also handy for loader work. and when you need to downshift quickly under load but don't want to stop.