Damaged in shipping

/ Damaged in shipping #1  

rstcso

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
Well, my brand spanking new tractor was delivered on Thursday. I also purchased a FEL, shredder and box blade. To ease the delivery, the delivery guy had attached the box blade to the FEL with a chain. After unloading, I noticed the hydraulic lines had paint scraped off, were bent and dented in the middle of the crossmember of the FEL. I pointed this out to the delivery guy, who explained they receive them from all kinds of delivery trucks and it's not unusual for them to be damaged when they arrive at the dealer. He then told me not to worry about it, since they weren't leaking. Besides, they are made of steel, after all. Amazingly, the paint was scratched on the top of the bucket in the exact same location as the hydraulic lines were bent. I will be getting a new loader next week. Sure did take the wind out of my sails getting my new toy. I took this picture a few minutes ago. It's been dry since Thursday except a rain shower that came through about two hours ago. There's already rust showing, so would last long like this.

Attachments

• 47-182550-damagedhydraulic.jpg
    47-182550-damagedhydraulic.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 129
   / Damaged in shipping #2  
I think I would be talking to someone at John Deere about that,I ordered a John Deere post hole digger through my dealer,it had some of the decals scratched up on it.I told the dealer I wanted new decals,he said he would talk to the area John Deere rep,lo and behold a few days later an evelope arrived in the mail with new decals.The way I figure it,I pay a premium for the John Deere green and I excpect a premium product.
I say you should have some new lines shipped to you,it is not the delivery guys call on this,he is not the one paying for the product,you are.

I hope it is made right for you.

/ Damaged in shipping #3  
Sorry to hear of your delivery problems. The way I look at it is there are two problems here. First, the tractor and FEL were not properly packaged for shipping. Second, you should not be expected to receive damaged goods.
I hope you noted on the delivery receipt that there was damage on arrival. Then contact the sales manager explaining the problem and requesting new lines or a new FEL.
Hope this all works out for you.
PJ

/ Damaged in shipping #4  
<font color=blue>...I will be getting a new loader next week...</font color=blue>

Well... it sounds like the problem is being taken care of ... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Congrats on your new tractor by the way... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Damaged in shipping #5  
Those sure look like chain marks to me. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'm glad you're getting new since you are paying for new. It sounds like Deere is footing the bill for the damage that occured after it was at the dealer.

/ Damaged in shipping
As far as a delivery receipt, this is more of a good-ol-boy operation, so there wasn't anything to sign (good thing I was who I said I was). I forgot to mention earlier that two of the four colored plugs for the hydraulic couplers of the loader/tractor were broken loose and dangling. Sorry to whine so much, but went out after the rain stopped to see how well the box blade (not JD) worked with the iMatch. IT DIDN'T. They are not compatable! The dealer told me he'd put the hitch pin on the box blade before it was delivered, but of course he didn't. I went to TSC and picked up a hitch pin. When I tried to hook it up, it was a no-go. Of course I can disconnected the iMatch, lay it off to the side and hook up the box blade the old way, but what's the use in having the iMatch. I don't think he's going to be happy when I tell him he's going to be replacing it with a JD medium duty box blade, at his expense! Thanks for letting me dump some more. I think my wife's tired of it.

/ Damaged in shipping #7  
When you pay your hard earned money you should expect nothing less than than perfect condition on NEW products. The care your equipment received was disgraceful.

/ Damaged in shipping #8  
When this kind of thing happens, tell the dealer he should make a claim with the freight company. They are responsible for delivering goods in the same shape they receive them in. If the dealer did the damage, they should correct it.

/ Damaged in shipping
Update. I went this afternoon to talk to the owner of the business I bought the tractor [farm supply store (yes, they are open 7 days a week)]. I took pictures of the hydraulic lines and the iMatch trying to hook up to the box blade. His tractor sales guy (also his son-in-law) had not told him about the problems I've been having and wasn't too happy. He asked if I could drop it off today and would have it taken care of tomorrow. Then he suggested we make sure he still had another loader. Yep, still there, but it had worse damage on the hydraulic lines than the one I received. I was blaming the delivery guy, but it really WAS the freight company that delivered them to the dealer! Needless to say, the owner was even less happy. He still offered to replace the loader with a new one, but seeing that it really wasn't their fault, I told him if they would replace the lines and throw in a can of <font color=green> JD spray paint </font color=green> , I'd be happy enough. As far as the box blade, he's going to have to see how long it will take to get a medium duty, iMatch compatable unit delivered. I told him I feel like everything will be taken care of to my satisfaction, and how important it was to me, because I plan on having a long "relationship" with them, and I don't want them thinking "darn, there's that ******* again!". On the way out, he handed me a can of spray paint /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

/ Damaged in shipping #10  
Don't ya just love the attitude of mfgrs, dealers, shippers, etc. Apparently they have a split personality type of approach to customers. The customer is expected to have the old school attitude of just considering a tractor as a field implement, not to worry about paint, rust, dings, dents, or wear/tear. But that customer also should be ready to pay exorbitant prices for compact tractors, equal to some pretty fine automobiles these days. Would anyone buying a Toyota Camry be content to find dents and scratched paint all over the just-delivered unit?
("Well, those dents and scratches are from the strapping and chains we used to ship your fine little $29,000 convertible. So here's a spray can to fix 'em up just as good as new...")
The mfgrs like high prices but they don't treat their product equivalently.
jim