A beginner's learning curve

/ A beginner's learning curve #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
A beginner\'s learning curve

I was helping a buddy move a few tons of top soil the other day, using my rear dirt scoop, and I had a good learning experience. Normally, I set my engine speed with the hand throttle, and then do my work. What I found during this job is that it's much more effective to set the hand throttle to a medium-slow idle, and then use the foot throttle for most of my work. For example, I could pick up a load of dirt, move forward by easing the clutch out at low RPM so no dirt fell off the back, then accelerate, upshift just as you would in a car, etc., all using the foot throttle. Worked much better!

I know.. you guys with the HSTs are probably snickering /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif but this was a helpful discovery for me with my SyncReverser John Deere 4300.

Just a thought for the other beginners here.. and I know there are lots of us. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Best,
Bob

/ A beginner's learning curve #2  
Re: A beginner\'s learning curve

I do this with loader work on the 1050. In fact, I use the foot throttle for everything except pto work and roading.

/ A beginner's learning curve #3  

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Only kidding. I have 60 hours in total and a learn something everyday I use it. Great stuff this tractoring. With or without HST.

GS

/ A beginner's learning curve #4  

That is a very good tool Trev. You can go significantly up and down in speed just with the foot feed.

/ A beginner's learning curve

<font color=blue>That is a very good tool Trev. You can go significantly up and down in speed just with the foot feed. </font color=blue>

Is it any harder on a diesel to be changing speed routinely, as opposed to just setting it to an appropriate speed and leaving it there?

/ A beginner's learning curve #6  

Bob,

It might be a little bit more wear on the engine to vary speed after the break-in period (you want to vary the speed during the break-in).

Using the over the road tractors as an example just how many million miles do you want to get on the engine? :) The road diesels do lots of varying of rpm's going cross country.

Don