Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

Default A beginner\'s learning curve

I was helping a buddy move a few tons of top soil the other day, using my rear dirt scoop, and I had a good learning experience. Normally, I set my engine speed with the hand throttle, and then do my work. What I found during this job is that it's much more effective to set the hand throttle to a medium-slow idle, and then use the foot throttle for most of my work. For example, I could pick up a load of dirt, move forward by easing the clutch out at low RPM so no dirt fell off the back, then accelerate, upshift just as you would in a car, etc., all using the foot throttle. Worked much better!

I know.. you guys with the HSTs are probably snickering [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img] but this was a helpful discovery for me with my SyncReverser John Deere 4300.

Just a thought for the other beginners here.. and I know there are lots of us. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Best,
    Bob

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

Default Re: A beginner\'s learning curve

I do this with loader work on the 1050. In fact, I use the foot throttle for everything except pto work and roading.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010 HST

[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Only kidding. I have 60 hours in total and a learn something everyday I use it. Great stuff this tractoring. With or without HST.

GS

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

That is a very good tool Trev. You can go significantly up and down in speed just with the foot feed.

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

<font color=blue>That is a very good tool Trev. You can go significantly up and down in speed just with the foot feed. </font color=blue>

Is it any harder on a diesel to be changing speed routinely, as opposed to just setting it to an appropriate speed and leaving it there?

Tractor
    Kubota 3710, 1970 Leland 384

Bob,

It might be a little bit more wear on the engine to vary speed after the break-in period (you want to vary the speed during the break-in).

Using the over the road tractors as an example just how many million miles do you want to get on the engine? The road diesels do lots of varying of rpm's going cross country.

Don