Dirt moving with tractor

/ Dirt moving with tractor #1  

Bikewanderer

Gold Member
I have an IH 826 tractor with front end loader and a 5' box blade I just bought.

I need to move about 1000 yards of dirt to another location about 70 yards away. I'm just leveling and regrading dirt to build a barn (the barn would be at the high spot). Having never used the box blade with the tractor, I have no idea how good it is at moving dirt. Would I be able to do this in a reasonable amount of time without tearing up equipment? If not, is there another implement that would help me do this for a reasonable amount?

I would rather buy a tool and spend time making it pay for itself rather than paying someone else to do it, but I realize that may not be possible in this case. Just looking for opinions - that's all.

/ Dirt moving with tractor #2  
Depending upon the composition of the dirt / soil, I'm sure it can be done. Keep in mind that it's going to take a lot of trips back and forth though...

Even if you could move a yard of dirt in one pass (unlikely), you are looking at 1000 passes...

/ Dirt moving with tractor
Depending upon the composition of the dirt / soil, I'm sure it can be done. Keep in mind that it's going to take a lot of trips back and forth though...

Even if you could move a yard of dirt in one pass (unlikely), you are looking at 1000 passes...

That seems like a weekend project if I can do half a yard per and do a round trip once a minute. I think I could do it much faster than that...

/ Dirt moving with tractor #4  
A guy with a 10 yard dump is doing 100 cycles. I'm estimating he can do 5-6 cycles in an hour allowing for loader time. He should be done in approx. 3 days. A yard of dirt is about 4 of your buckets give or take. With your cycle time being the same, it is going to take you almost 10 times longer if you are putting in the same 8 hour days with a conveyance that carries a yard at a time. Is it feasible? Depends on your patience and work tolerance level.
Not that it means or adds anything to this discussion, for me it would not be.

/ Dirt moving with tractor #5  
Welcome to TBN. I would get a bigger box blade like a 8 footer. Is your IH 826 a hydro? At the HP range (61HP for a Hydro and 79HP for a geared on the draw bar) of a tractor that size you should be able to move a good load of dirt if your soil is not to rocky. Another good option would be a scraper pan something like this http://www.durabiltindustries.com/pdfs/dirtpan.pdf

Last edited:
   / Dirt moving with tractor #6  
That seems like a weekend project if I can do half a yard per and do a round trip once a minute. I think I could do it much faster than that...

You did say 70 yds? I 'm not sure you can do a cycle in a minute with no dirt at all.
Also, I misread your tractor. I do not know what size your bucket holds.

/ Dirt moving with tractor #7  
I have an IH 826 tractor with front end loader and a 5' box blade I just bought.

I need to move about 1000 yards of dirt to another location about 70 yards away. I'm just leveling and regrading dirt to build a barn (the barn would be at the high spot). Having never used the box blade with the tractor, I have no idea how good it is at moving dirt. Would I be able to do this in a reasonable amount of time without tearing up equipment? If not, is there another implement that would help me do this for a reasonable amount?

I would rather buy a tool and spend time making it pay for itself rather than paying someone else to do it, but I realize that may not be possible in this case. Just looking for opinions - that's all.

That 5-ft wide BB has about 5 cu ft capacity, or 5/27 cu yd. You'll log plenty of seat time moving 1000 cu yd of dirt with that dinky implement.

Your FEL probably has somewhat larger capacity and might make this job go faster, especially if you have a toothbar on the FEL bucket. Your 826 has well over 70 hp on the drawbar and can handle a much larger box blade. You can find 8ft BBs from several vendors.

One commonly used implement for work like this is a Gannon box. Here's one in action excavating and grading for my gravel driveway.

Driveway-removing the turf-small.JPG

Gannon's usually have hydraulically controlled scarifiers.
You may be able to rent one of these Gannons locally.

/ Dirt moving with tractor
You did say 70 yds? I 'm not sure you can do a cycle in a minute with no dirt at all.
Also, I misread your tractor. I do not know what size your bucket holds.

It may only be 50 yards, and my time was just a guess. I have not tried it. I am doing some work tonight, I may time it then.

I don't know bucket size either.

/ Dirt moving with tractor #9  
How about using your FEL and box blade simultaneously?

/ Dirt moving with tractor #10  
I'd try to locate a dump truck to help out. At a quarter-yard per bucket load, you're looking at 4000 round trips! :confused: At 100 yards per round trip, that equals to...yikes...227 MILES...half of which distance would be with the bucket loaded, putting considerable strain on the front axle and tires (depending on terrain).

Might want to consider renting some bigger equipment, unless you don't mind spending a number of days on this.