Security & Theft Best way to protect Tractor from Theft?

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #11  
And make it very clear you will use it.......

Attachments

• DSCF8317.jpg
    DSCF8317.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 250
   / Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #12  
Insurance. If they want it, they will take it.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #13  
Thanks you all for the suggestions. Buck12 you may be in the general area my property is located. Im in Holly Springs National Forest. My farm is difficult to access and it would take someone really going out of their way to take the Tractor. In this economy with the price of tractors I do believe it is a legitimate concern. I think I will go with the GPS in/on your tractor in worst case scenario, you can pick them up for around $100. Also IR motion dtec camera also around $100. Thanks

Our property is also in the Holly Springs NF and I live about 35 -40 miles from the property. I have also thought about a shipping container. However I figure someone would find a way in it. A family member has cabin that has been broken into so I am careful about what I leave. It's ashame we work hard so we can have a little time to play and have to worry about having our toys stolen.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #14  
1. Insurance.

2. Cover it with a ratty old tarp, preferably silver or brown painted camo or camo, but it must be genuinely old. Prematurely age one yourself if necessary.

3. Lojack.

4. Fuel shut-off.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #15  
Insurance. If they want it, they will take it.

Exactly....why even take the keys out . I know if any of mine went missing i'd like to make their job as easy as possible and minimize damage and i'd certainly never like to recover a stolen /damaged machine and i know for sure that insurance prices are far more than equipment is really worth so let them have it ?

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #16  
you may consider installing a GPS in/on your tractor in worst case scenario, you can pick them up for around $100. Also IR motion dtec camera also around $100.

What is this GPS device you mention? Is it sold under a brandname and what are the specifics? How is it installed, how difficult is it, what cost, where are they sold, and how easy is it to detect, etc. Please tell me more. Could it be installed in a 4-wheeler also? How is it activated after a theft and who has the technology to track it to its location. Are law enforcement agencies comfortable with its use (or would I need to get a heavily armed posse of friends to stage a raid!) Thanks for any info.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #17  
   / Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #18  
What is this GPS device you mention? Is it sold under a brandname and what are the specifics? How is it installed, how difficult is it, what cost, where are they sold, and how easy is it to detect, etc. Please tell me more. Could it be installed in a 4-wheeler also? How is it activated after a theft and who has the technology to track it to its location. Are law enforcement agencies comfortable with its use (or would I need to get a heavily armed posse of friends to stage a raid!) Thanks for any info.

GPS Tracking Devices | Spy GPS Tracker Device | Vehicle & Car

Trail Cameras | Scouting Camera Reviews | Game Cameras | Trail Cameras

monthly fee associated with GPS

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #19  
Do the simple and cheap things to keep honest people honest and to prevent vandals and joy riders: fuel and battery shutoff, chain it to a tree, don't leave the key in it. You might even want to take the battery out. Those same guys that'll steal your deer stands will also take anything of value that is removable. Then insure it to protect against the real thieves.

Before I'd spend $3K or so on an ugly old sea container. I'd look around for a used shed and have it towed up there. Or save a few more pennies and have a pole barn built.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #20  
Probably this one, although it's really not "GPS", but a radio transmitter:

LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery

that's pretty cool. Anyone have any experience with one of these types of devices? I don't see a dealer listed in my area. You would think this would be ideal for a tractor that is left unattended in a remote area (like mine) Like other's have said, if someone wants to steal it, it would be hard to deter them. Mine is behind a locked gate and not visible from the road, but everytime I go there, I drive up hoping it's still there. My only security is that I have insurance. Same for my four wheeler.

Just to show the audacity of thieves, last week my Mom and Dad (who is a retired police chief) were attending the receiving of friends at a local mortuary, for another police chief who passed away. Of course every policeman, judge, lawyer in town were there, along with a police car with blue lights on directing traffic outside. Some lowlife walked into the mortuary among all of these people and stole my Mom's purse and then stole her car. Luckily he crashed it a mile away and was arrested. What nerve! Thirty years ago, the police would have administered some streetside "justice", but in todays politically correct age, they carefully carried him to the hospital for a free nights stay. His only physical ailment was that he was wasted on drugs and alcohol.