Security & Theft Best way to protect Tractor from Theft?

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #1  

sksmsllc

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TC48DA 4x4
I would be grateful for some recommendations on how to best secure my Tractor from being stolen off my Farm. I've never owned a tractor before now and don't know if I need to buy a steel building to lock it in or just keep it under a covered shed and lock to post or what?

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #2  
Parking it inside a locked garage or building is the best way...but that's not always feasible (are you really ready to buy a steel building?).
You can rig a hidden cutoff switch in the fuel or ignition systems, but that won't prevent a thief with a rollback truck or trailer from winching your tractor on to their truck or trailer.
Always try to park it somewhere out of casual sight, if you cannot store it indoors.
BTW, tractor keys aren't unique like a car key is. One style key may fit many models from a given manufacturer.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft?
Thanks Roy,

What about using a Metal Container can be purcased for $1,500 to $2,500? I my farm is about 35 miles from my home and is difficult to acess has bobwire fence and locked gates but the county does have some theft risk. I have to lock my deer stands to the trees or they will dissapear if that gives you an idea?

Thanks again Roy!

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #4  
I usually trailer my tractor to my family remote property. If I am going to be back within a few days I hide the tractor in the woods well away from the road. Make sure you have insurance.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #5  
I would be grateful for some recommendations on how to best secure my Tractor from being stolen off my Farm. I've never owned a tractor before now and don't know if I need to buy a steel building to lock it in or just keep it under a covered shed and lock to post or what?

you may consider installing a GPS in/on your tractor in worst case scenario, you can pick them up for around $100. Also IR motion dtec camera also around $100.

Thanks you all for the suggestions. Buck12 you may be in the general area my property is located. Im in Holly Springs National Forest. My farm is difficult to access and it would take someone really going out of their way to take the Tractor. In this economy with the price of tractors I do believe it is a legitimate concern. I think I will go with the GPS in/on your tractor in worst case scenario, you can pick them up for around $100. Also IR motion dtec camera also around $100. Thanks

Going this route Thanks Logan97

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #8  

Lojack.

Won't stop the theft but it may help you get it back and may be able to get some one prosecuted if they are caught with it.

Here's a recent Lojack case story I just read about today:
Feb. 21, Game Wardens Michael Hummert and Colt Gaulden were patrolling Webb County when they heard a call on DPS radio that a DPS helicopter had detected a LoJack transmission in a 90,000-acre ranch in Webb County. Responding to the call, the wardens entered the ranch and spoke with the landowner.

A DPS helicopter was hovering in an area that the landowner said a hunting camp was located.

The wardens entered the camp and found the stolen Ford F-250 4-door truck. The originally white truck had been painted camouflage, an elevated deer blind had been installed, and fictitious plates had been put on the vehicle.

/ Best way to protect Tractor from Theft? #10  
Mine is locked in my shop. It was actually a selling point and something that I looked for in particular when tractor shopping. It had to fit through the door. It does, but barely. I have to reach out the passenger door and turn the radio antenna to the horizontal position to get it in. I feel much better with it inside. The other options I considered was getting a unique key system and something like lojack. I've also insured my tractor so if it does get stolen, I can replace it. After all that, it's just not up to me (unless I see them try to get it, then it will be in my hands;) ).